Topics

Best Radio Contact Today - Mount Tukuhnikivatz

Bob K0NR

Wowzy, today I was very happy to work WB0RBA on Mount Tukuhnikivatz (W7U/SU-002) in Utah.
This is the first time I've worked Utah from a Colorado SOTA summit using 2m FM.
I was on W0C/SP-042, an unnamed summit near Cottonwood Pass at 12792 feet.
I estimate it was 155 miles away.

Thanks, Terry!

73 Bob

Skyler Fennell

That’s cool! One of these years I want to go to a high point in West Kansas with a big yagi and a mast and a good quiet noise floor see who I can work on 2m FM during the 14er event.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:09 PM Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:
Wowzy, today I was very happy to work WB0RBA on Mount Tukuhnikivatz (W7U/SU-002) in Utah.
This is the first time I've worked Utah from a Colorado SOTA summit using 2m FM.
I was on W0C/SP-042, an unnamed summit near Cottonwood Pass at 12792 feet.
I estimate it was 155 miles away.

Thanks, Terry!

73 Bob

I've worked a station on Mount Sunflower (highest point in Kansas) from Pikes Peak without much trouble.
I am sure a Mt Sunflower station could work mountaintop stations further west but I'm not sure how far.

73 Bob

On 02-Aug-20 11:11 AM, Skyler Fennell wrote:
That’s cool! One of these years I want to go to a high point in West Kansas with a big yagi and a mast and a good quiet noise floor see who I can work on 2m FM during the 14er event.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:09 PM Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:
Wowzy, today I was very happy to work WB0RBA on Mount Tukuhnikivatz (W7U/SU-002) in Utah.
This is the first time I've worked Utah from a Colorado SOTA summit using 2m FM.
I was on W0C/SP-042, an unnamed summit near Cottonwood Pass at 12792 feet.
I estimate it was 155 miles away.

Thanks, Terry!

73 Bob

Eric KF0AUK

Working WB0RBA in Utah was cool. It was 130.6 miles for me from Baldy Alto W0C/LG-005. I had a lot of fun during the weekend and enjoyed making contacts.

It was also fun to join the CERN (Colorado Connection) network from my camp in the La Garita Wilderness Saturday evening.

I can't wait to see what HF can do from a SOTA summit. I've got to stop doing trips so I have time to study and test for the general license.

Eric
--
KF0AUK
Eric Stephenson

Peter Ebertowsky

Oldest HT used on summit for 14er event?

I decided to not take my Yaesu FT817 for 2m, 70cm, and HF, but instead my vintage Alinco DJ180 and portable 3 element beam for 2 meters. With the decrease in weight, I was a slightly less slow hiker.

I think that I was too late to catch some of the activators Saturday, I was on the summit of Parkview Mountain (W0C/PR-005, 12,300 ft) in northern Colorado just after 11 am, and heard a couple of activators on my HT while I was still short of the summit. Longest contact was 95 miles to Mt Oxford.

UTC

Band

Mode

Callsign

Summit

Notes

17:25

144MHz

FM

W7UM

W0C/SR-052

147.42  Thorodin Mountain

17:28

144MHz

FM

KG0CZ

W0C/PR-003

Byers Peak

17:49

144MHz

FM

KC0GBK

W0C/SR-031

James Peak

18:19

144MHz

FM

KI6ASW

W0C/SP-002

Mt. Oxford

I slept in today (Sunday) and did an afternoon HF activation of nearby Pinkham Mountain. Thirty CW contacts, including 2 S2S with Californ

On Sunday, August 2, 2020, 8:20:26 PM MDT, Eric KF0AUK via groups.io <e.r.stephenson@...> wrote:

Working WB0RBA in Utah was cool. It was 130.6 miles for me from Baldy Alto W0C/LG-005. I had a lot of fun during the weekend and enjoyed making contacts.

It was also fun to join the CERN (Colorado Connection) network from my camp in the La Garita Wilderness Saturday evening.

I can't wait to see what HF can do from a SOTA summit. I've got to stop doing trips so I have time to study and test for the general license.

Eric
--
KF0AUK
Eric Stephenson

Terry Carter

I had a great time hiking and activating Tuk.  I had the summit all to myself until the end of my activation at around noon.  The weather was fantastic!  I am so glad to get the various stations!  I wasn't sure I could get through all the way to the collegiate range.  Glad to find out I can!  One of my contacts was with a station in Glade Park (near Grand Junction).  This was the closest station and I could barely hear him.  I heard Bob K0NR, Eric KF0AUK, and KI6ASW on Belford full quieting!  Of course I heard N4MMI and KE0RMY in the San Juans clearly.  I also heard a camera crew using 146.52 somewhere around Moab I think.  They never IDed, and they didn't respond to my CQ, so I don't know for sure where they were.  They were booming into my location though.  Based on the fact that I contacted the stations near the Arkansas River Valley, I imagine I could reach any station on mountains above Southern Salt Lake City or Provo on a good day! Anyway, great day and another successful event! Thanks for putting it on each year!

By the way, check out these photos from my day: https://www.flickr.com/gp/8111821@N04/F5372Y

Terry (WB0RBA)