Colorado 14er Event Update

Bob K0NR

Lots of stuff happening as people plan for the Colorado 14er Event (Aug 7 and 8).

Post your plans
We have quite a few people posting their plans in the database. Thanks!
This helps coordinate our efforts. See https://ham14er.groups.io/g/ham14er/table?id=31898

1.2 GHz
We have 5 activators planning to use 1.2 GHz on 9 different activations. And I've identified 5 chasers that have 1.2 GHz.
This should be fun.

It currently looks like this:
Callsign Name Saturday Summit Sunday Summit Notes
Activators

K0NR Bob Pikes Peak Mt Evans plus K0JJW
KM4PEH Jon Mt Evans

KI0G Bob Sunlight Peak
W0C/RP-004 near Glenwood Springs
K5RHD Randy Mt Evans Pikes Peak
W0ADV David Uncompahgre Sunshine/Redcloud

Reservations
Unfortunately, more and more of our favorite mountains are subject to reservations to gain access. The latest one is Quandary Peak, which has limited parking with reservations required.
See https://www.summitcountyco.gov/1446/Quandary

Rocky Mt National Park is operating on a reservation system.
Mt Evans Recreation Area requires reservations to gain access after 8 AM.

Be sure and check out the summit you plan to hike. This is another reason to pass on the popular/easier 14ers and choose a SOTA summit that is not quite so busy on a summer weekend.

Pikes Peak
Dan/KN0MAP pointed out to me that Pikes Peak has a bicycle race on Saturday, another complication. Access to the highway for the general public begins at 9 AM, which is kind of late.
Joyce/K0JJW and I still plan to activate it but we will get a late start, probably 10:30 to 11 AM at the summit.

73 Bob

Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio