Forest Fire Smoke

Eric KF0AUK

Regarding forest fire smoke, we climbed Antora Peak two weekends ago for a SOTA activation. We had a bivouac at timberline and there was a lot of smoke in the air. I was with my son and we both had allergy-like symptoms after a night outside. The air cleared considerably by the time we activated the peak.

I've since upgraded my Gaia GPS subscription and have access to Smoke Forecast map layers. Things have generally been clearer down south, close to my home in Alamosa. So I'm tentatively planning to cancel our Harvard/Columbia hike and go for Mount Blanca instead.

If the Smoke Forecast looks iffy, and I decide not to camp at all, then we will try a drive-up summit. I will provide updated alerts closer to the weekend.

Thanks,

Eric / KF0AUK

Bob K0NR

Eric,
There is a lot to like about the premium GaiaGPS software. Lots of SOTA folks use it.
I've been using this website to monitor the smoke situation: https://fire.airnow.gov/
I will check out the GaiaGPS smoke forecasting, too.

73 Bob

Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio

On 02-Aug-21 5:23 PM, Eric KF0AUK via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I agree about Gaia premium. I used the free version - also good - for a long time before upgrading. The premium map layers are well worth it.

I think Gaia Smoke Forecast might provide the information in a more visual way, but I'm just starting to look at https://fire.airnow.gov/

Thanks,

Eric / KF0AUK