Hey summer is here so plan your Colorado 14er Event activation

Bob K0NR

Time to start thinking about the Colorado 14er Event (Aug 7 and 8).
Indicate your plans here: https://ham14er.groups.io/g/ham14er/database

Also keep in mind the 10-10-10 SOTA event:
http://www.w0c-sota.org/10-10-10-event-announcement/

Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio

Bob K0NR

Forgot:
14er event website is here: ham14er.org

On 15-Jun-21 10:45 AM, Bob K0NR wrote:
Time to start thinking about the Colorado 14er Event (Aug 7 and 8).
Indicate your plans here: https://ham14er.groups.io/g/ham14er/database

Also keep in mind the 10-10-10 SOTA event:
http://www.w0c-sota.org/10-10-10-event-announcement/

Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio

Eric KF0AUK

Hi Bob,

Thanks, I will post plans soon. Looking forward to it.

Eric
--
KF0AUK
Eric Stephenson

Bob K0NR

OK, good to see people posting their plans. Thanks!

Our tentative plan (Joyce and I) is to be on Pikes Peak on Saturday and Mt Evans on Sunday. We will do both of these as drive-ups and then operate SOTA style. My thinking is that having activators on these major summits helps generate additional chaser activity. They both cover the front-range cities pretty well.

If you want to join us either day, let me know. We can accommodate multiple operators.
Better yet, if you want to activate either of these summits on the day we will not be there, that would be great, too.

Eric KF0AUK

I'm hiking into Horn Fork Basin with my son Zane, KF0BGL. The plan is to activate Mount Harvard on Saturday morning, Mount Columbia on Sunday morning.
--
KF0AUK
Eric Stephenson

Bob K0NR

Very good, Eric!

BobW
Sent from mobile device

On Jul 13, 2021, at 8:22 PM, Eric KF0AUK via groups.io <e.r.stephenson@...> wrote:

I'm hiking into Horn Fork Basin with my son Zane, KF0BGL. The plan is to activate Mount Harvard on Saturday morning, Mount Columbia on Sunday morning.
--
KF0AUK
Eric Stephenson

Jon Richardson (KM4PEH)

I’ll be doing Mt Evans Saturday morning.  I’ll be with family (in other words, schedule not under my control).  Operating 2m, 70cm, 1.2 ghz, 6m; all FM.

Sunday TBD.

I have family coming in from out-of-state that weekend.  Its good timing that my brother scheduled a trip specifically that weekend and specifically to bicycle up Mt Evans.  I’m praying that he can handle the altitude, or have the sense to know when to stop.

Jon

KM4PEH

OK, good to see people posting their plans. Thanks!

Our tentative plan (Joyce and I) is to be on Pikes Peak on Saturday and Mt Evans on Sunday. We will do both of these as drive-ups and then operate SOTA style. My thinking is that having activators on these major summits helps generate additional chaser activity. They both cover the front-range cities pretty well.

If you want to join us either day, let me know. We can accommodate multiple operators.
Better yet, if you want to activate either of these summits on the day we will not be there, that would be great, too.

Bob K0NR

Hi Jon,
It will be good to have someone on Mt Evans on Saturday.

Access to Mt Evans has gotten tighter and a reservation is required to reduce congestion on the mountain.
See https://www.recreation.gov/timed-entry/10087438

Bob

On 14-Jul-21 9:11 PM, Jon Richardson (KM4PEH) wrote:

[...]

Kirby - K4CAN

It'll be my first SOTA attempt but I'm planning on hiking Mt. Flora Saturday morning. I'll also be operating for the POTA support your parks event. Sorry I missed the 14er event, but last weekend was a trial run since I've been doing POTA. I'm still lugging a 891 and wanted to be sure I could carry everything safely.

Kirby
K4CAN

Bob K0NR

Kirby,
The 14er event is Aug 7 and 8 this year, so you haven't missed it (yet).

Also take a look at the 10-10-10 event to celebrate 10 years of SOTA in Colorado:
http://w0c-sota.org/10-10-10/

Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio

73 Bob K0NR