Topics

Joyce/K0JJW New Mountain Goat

Bob K0NR

Congratulations to Joyce/K0JJW for completing 1000 activator points while activating Pikes Peak today. She is my totally awesome hiking partner and spouse. Early on, she always hiked with me on SOTA activations but didn't start pursuing activator points until the middle of 2017.  All of her SOTA contacts have been on the VHF/UHF bands, lots of 2m fm along with 2m ssb, 70 cm and 23 cm FM.
She had quite the pileup on 146.55 MHz today.

She has activated 181 summits, 112 unique in 19 associations.
She is the second female Mountain Goat in Colorado (after Lynn/KC0YQF) and is probably about number 8 female goat in North America? Anyone keeping track?

Why to go, Grrl!

73 Bob
Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio

Richard Hendricks KE0GB

Bob:

Uh, don't you mean, "Way to go, Grrl!"

;^)

73 - Rick
KE0GB

Bob K0NR

Oops...

On 10-Aug-20 10:06 PM, Richard Hendricks KE0GB wrote:
Bob:

Uh, don't you mean, "Way to go, Grrl!"

;^)

73 - Rick
KE0GB
_._,_._,_

Ben KE0NRZ

Congrats Joyce!

I've only been licensed 3 years but that was the biggest pileup on VHF I have ever heard, and I could only hear about 1/3 of the chasers...

Ben Jolly
KØBEJ

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:27 PM Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:
Oops...

On 10-Aug-20 10:06 PM, Richard Hendricks KE0GB wrote:
Bob:

Uh, don't you mean, "Way to go, Grrl!"

;^)

73 - Rick
KE0GB

Bob K0NR

Ben,
This can be pretty exciting (complex, confusing, intimidating) on the summit.
You are hearing EVERYONE but they can't hear each other so they end up calling on top of one another.

Bob

On 11-Aug-20 9:20 AM, Ben KE0NRZ wrote:
Congrats Joyce!

I've only been licensed 3 years but that was the biggest pileup on VHF I have ever heard, and I could only hear about 1/3 of the chasers...

Ben Jolly
KØBEJ

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:27 PM Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:
Oops...

On 10-Aug-20 10:06 PM, Richard Hendricks KE0GB wrote:
Bob:

Uh, don't you mean, "Way to go, Grrl!"

;^)

73 - Rick
KE0GB

Joyce Witte

Thanks for all of your kind, and silly, words and all of the support you have given me along the way. You have no idea how wonderful it felt getting all of the contacts on the top of Pikes on my special day. I kept having flashbacks of some of the wonderful hikes, and some of the painful and very difficult one, also. It was an amazing two hours. I so appreciate you all. Who will be the next Goat?

Joyce

On Aug 10, 2020, at 10:27 PM, Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:

Oops...

On 10-Aug-20 10:06 PM, Richard Hendricks KE0GB wrote:
Bob:

Uh, don't you mean, "Way to go, Grrl!"

;^)

73 - Rick
KE0GB

Joyce Witte

Thanks, Ben, and that was the first really big pile up that I have ever worked with. I have hear Bob work with them during contests but I have never done it. I so hope I did not miss anyone. It was so fun and means so very much to me!!!

Joyce

On Aug 11, 2020, at 9:20 AM, Ben KE0NRZ <benjamin.edward.jolly@...> wrote:

Congrats Joyce!

I've only been licensed 3 years but that was the biggest pileup on VHF I have ever heard, and I could only hear about 1/3 of the chasers...

Ben Jolly
KØBEJ

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:27 PM Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:
Oops...

On 10-Aug-20 10:06 PM, Richard Hendricks KE0GB wrote:
Bob:

Uh, don't you mean, "Way to go, Grrl!"

;^)

73 - Rick
KE0GB

Bdale Garbee

"Joyce Witte" <joyce@...> writes:

Thanks, Ben, and that was the first really big pile up that I have
ever worked with. I have hear Bob work with them during contests but I
have never done it. I so hope I did not miss anyone. It was so fun and
means so very much to me!!!
Congrats, Joyce! Working pileups is "an acquired skill" ..

73 - Bdale, KB0G