Topics

K0NR Colorado 14er Event Report

Bob K0NR

Joyce/K0JJW and I made a long weekend of it with plenty of SOTA activity. Joyce is getting to within spitting distance of Mountain Goat (1000 activator points), so we tried to increase her total.

On Thursday, we activated two easy summits close to each other: W0C/FR-041 (Dicks Peak) and W0C/SP-101 (10090). From Dicks Peak, we made an S2S contact with Ron/K6CPR on Mount Antero. Our standard SOTA setup is a Yaesu FT-90 mini-mobile transceiver (30 Watts) into a 3-element Arrow Yagi antenna. The 30W gives us a bit more punch on transmit compared with a handheld radio.

On Friday, we hit another pair of summits: W0C/FR-031 (Black Mountain) and W0C/FR-222 (10715).

Then on Saturday, we went hiked the Continental Divide Trail from Cottonwood Pass to unnamed summit W0C/SP-042. This is a nice hike with spectacular views. This is when we worked WB0RBA on Mount Tukuhnikivatz (W7U/SU-002) in Utah on 2m FM. What a blast! We were also successful working back into the Black Forest and Colorado Springs area with 2m FM. Best DX pointed east was KC0PBR and N0EMU in Calhan (114 miles). I think we demonstrated that VHF can go beyond line of sight.

On Sunday, we climbed Mount White, a 13er just south of Mt Antero. We completed another bunch of S2S contacts. A real kick was making two 1.2 GHz contacts with Andrew/KD5ZZK and Curtis/KC5CW as they fueled up at Johnson Village. The weather threatened us just a bit but never really amounted to anything on Mt White. After we came down the summit, we decided to do one more summit that day: W0C/SP-094 (10350). It is an easy one on the way back to the cabin.

Just when we thought we were done, on Monday we activated another easy one, W0C/SP-109 (McQuaid Butte), not too far from our cabin. Trip report here: https://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2020/08/mcquaid-butte-sota/

That's a total of 48 activator points for the 5 days. The weather cooperated the whole weekend for us. Did anyone encounter any storms?

Thanks to everyone that came out and played radio!

73 Bob

Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio