Topics

Mt Antero

KD5ZZK

Bob,
Every trail description I've found online says 12 miles RT. That is from the highway! How far is it from the upper 4x4 parking area. Looks like less than 1 mile. Can you confirm?

Andrew
KD5ZZK
Baton Rouge,LA
W5A-Arkansas SOTA manager

Bob K0NR

Hi Andrew,
The 4WD road (FS 278.1A) to Mt Antero ends at about 13,700 feet, then it's about a half mile and 600 feet vertical to get to the summit.
There is kind of a trail leading up over piles of talus but its mostly climbing over the rocks, which takes some time.

The 4WD road varies in condition from year to year but it is usually "moderate" difficulty, no problem in our stock Wrangler.
There is active mining near the end of the road, which keeps the road open.
There are quite a few big switchbacks on the 4WD route where you don't want to pass another vehicle.
It pays to watch for vehicles coming from the other direction and anticipate where you can pass each others.

This map shows the area around the summit pretty well.

73 Bob

Check out my new book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio

On 14-May-20 6:15 AM, KD5ZZK via groups.io wrote:
Bob,
Every trail description I've found online says 12 miles RT. That is from the highway! How far is it from the upper 4x4 parking area. Looks like less than 1 mile. Can you confirm?

Andrew
KD5ZZK
Baton Rouge,LA
W5A-Arkansas SOTA manager

nmmi9100

I'll second Bob's statements on Antero.  From the upper 4wd area, it's about a half mile hike and 600 feet of vertical.  It's an easy hike.  We carried a pile of radio stuff up there last time.

/David

Jon Richardson (KM4PEH)

My experience differed.  I found the final leg of the Antero ascent to be difficult and dangerous.  Lots of bouldering, lots of sliding scree and near landslides that could have ended badly for me and put rescuers at risk.  I am proud that I made it and the 10 Sota points that I earned, but we shouldn’t minimize the difficulty and necessary caution that is needed for some of these conditions.

Lets be careful out there,

Jon

KM4PEH