Topics

North America Adventure Frequency: 146.58 MHz

Bob K0NR

Please note that the North America Adventure Frequency is 146.58 MHz, which is intended to be complementary to using 146.52 MHz.
My blog post on the topic is here:
https://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2021/01/north-america-adventure-freq/

Some key points are:
  • The North America Adventure Frequency is 146.58 MHz.
  • This frequency is in addition to, not a replacement for, the National Simplex Calling Frequency 146.52 MHz.
  • Local usage will likely vary depending on needs.
  • Program 146.58 MHz as The Other Simplex Frequency in your radio.
--
Bob Witte, K0NR
bob@...
Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio

Mike KN6EZE

Hey Bob,

We here in the SoCal SOTA group (W6) have also adopted the Adventure Frequency protocol. When activating over the LA basin, squatting on .52 only causes issues, but in other areas it might make sense to use .52 as the primary activation frequency. For me, the key is to be prudent and not hog the calling frequency with huge pile-ups in populated areas.

Thanks for helping get the word out!

Mike (KN6EZE)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 7:50 PM Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:
Please note that the North America Adventure Frequency is 146.58 MHz, which is intended to be complementary to using 146.52 MHz.

Some key points are:
  • This frequency is in addition to, not a replacement for, the National Simplex Calling Frequency 146.52 MHz.
--
Bob Witte, K0NR
bob@...
Check out my book:

Bob K0NR

Hi Mike,
As someone said, it will be "situational dependent" on whether to use .52 or .58.

Bob

Bob Witte, K0NR
bob@...
Check out my book:

On 20-Jan-21 11:36 PM, Mike KN6EZE wrote:
Hey Bob,

We here in the SoCal SOTA group (W6) have also adopted the Adventure Frequency protocol. When activating over the LA basin, squatting on .52 only causes issues, but in other areas it might make sense to use .52 as the primary activation frequency. For me, the key is to be prudent and not hog the calling frequency with huge pile-ups in populated areas.

Thanks for helping get the word out!

Mike (KN6EZE)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 7:50 PM Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:

Some key points are:
--
Bob Witte, K0NR
bob@...
Check out my book:

Bill K7WXW

In the Pacific Northwest, K7ATN (Etienne) has been promoting 146.58 as the primary SOTA activation frequency for some time. Most activators now use it, though people do move back to 146.52 if it means the difference between activating and not.  At this point, most of the regular chasers monitor .58, too.  While it is not the "standard" yet it is well on its way to becoming one.  73 Bill K7WXW

Bob K0NR

Good to know. Thanks.

Bob Witte, K0NR
bob@...

On 21-Jan-21 10:02 AM, Bill K7WXW wrote:
In the Pacific Northwest, K7ATN (Etienne) has been promoting 146.58 as the primary SOTA activation frequency for some time. Most activators now use it, though people do move back to 146.52 if it means the difference between activating and not.  At this point, most of the regular chasers monitor .58, too.  While it is not the "standard" yet it is well on its way to becoming one.  73 Bill K7WXW

Eric KF0AUK

Thanks Bob, good information.

Eric

--
KF0AUK
Eric Stephenson