[w0c-sota] Grays and Torrey Parking Tickets

Bob K0NR

Heads up...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [w0c-sota] Grays and Torrey Parking Tickets
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 16:53:08 -0700
From: Brad WA6MM <wa6mm@...>
To: w0c-sota@groups.io

Apparently Clear Creek County is now ticketing cars that park outside the main Grays and Torreys 14er peaks trailhead parking -- which is very limited.  The ticket will cost you $200.  They are going to make a lot of money as most people park alongside the road up to the trailhead!!

I doubt I'll every climb those peaks again as it has gotten so crowded these past several years. Sad.....

73, Brad
WA6MM
_._,_._,_

Jonathan L. Rosner

Sad to hear the news. Grays and Torreys were the first 14ers I climbed
during the summer of 1958 when I was working at the National Bureau of
Standards in Boulder. Much less crowded then.

73,
Jon WO9S

-- Jonathan L. Rosner Call sign in 1958: K2EDH
Enrico Fermi Inst., U. Chicago Phone: 773-702-7694
5640 S. Ellis Avenue Fax: 773-702-8038
Chicago, IL 60637 USA rosner@hep.uchicago.edu

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, Bob K0NR wrote:

Heads up...
[w0c-sota] Grays and Torrey Parking Tickets
Date:
Sun, 04 Jul 2021 16:53:08 -0700
From:
Brad WA6MM <wa6mm@comcast.net>
To:
w0c-sota@groups.io
Apparently Clear Creek County is now ticketing cars that park outside the main Grays and Torreys 14er peaks trailhead parking -- which is very limited.  The ticket will cost you $200.  They are going to make a lot of money as most people park alongside the road up to the trailhead!!
I doubt I'll every climb those peaks again as it has gotten so crowded these past several years. Sad.....
73, Brad
WA6MM

Skyler Fennell

At some point, I am planning on trying Grays Peak from the horseshoe basin up Argentine pass the near Montezuma.

Or torreys peak from Chihuahua lake.

Much less crowds back there

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:38 PM Jonathan L. Rosner <rosner@...> wrote:
Sad to hear the news.  Grays and Torreys were the first 14ers I climbed
during the summer of 1958 when I was working at the National Bureau of
Standards in Boulder.  Much less crowded then.

73,
Jon     WO9S

--      Jonathan L. Rosner               Call sign in 1958: K2EDH
         Enrico Fermi Inst., U. Chicago   Phone: 773-702-7694
         5640 S. Ellis Avenue             Fax:   773-702-8038
         Chicago, IL 60637 USA           rosner@...

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, Bob K0NR wrote:

> Heads up...

AE7AP

It is sad to hear that it is getting so crowded.  Grays and Torrey's were the first mountains that I climbed.  My father took me.  It must have been around 1978 - I had been reading the Borneman & Lampert book & talked my father into going up the Kelso-Torrey's ridge.  I thought it is was the most fun-thing ever, but I am not sure that my father was as enthusiastic about the route.  I recall that we had the ridge to ourselves, but did see a few other groups on the summits and the route down.  There was plenty of room in the parking lot.  I am still climbing & still have the book - complete with a gnawed, discolored hole on page 23 (Longs Peak) ... courtesy of a marmot at the Keyhole on Longs Peak while I was napping (which is also still one of my favorite activities).

I am busy that weekend, so I likely won't be able to work you-all - but enjoy!

73,
Rob - AE7AP