W0C/SP-089 Activation and 23 cm

Bob K0NR

Joyce/K0JJW and I had a good day on unnamed summit SP-089 ("Aspen Arch") yesterday with 1.2 GHz. We also worked 2m and 70 cm.

Steve/KL7IZW has a very capable 1.2 GHz station in Black Forest and he had contacted me previously about chasing us on that band for SOTA.
We did a test run from Wilkerson Pass a few weeks ago and we were able to work Steve from there.

Yesterday on SP-089 , we both worked Steve at a distance 123 km. Our station was a small Kenwood transceiver running 10 watts FM into a 14-element Comet Yagi. (This is an upgrade from the 1 watt Alinco HT.) Steve was running considerable power (100 W?) with a similar Yagi pointed at Pikes Peak. We did not have line-of-sight for this contact so we both pointed at Pikes and got enough of a reflection to get the radio wave through. It was easy to spot Pikes sticking up on the horizon and I just pointed our Yagi there.

I've been focused on using FM because of the popularity of the Alinco HT with SOTA activators. It is only $240, see https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010038
At some point, I may add in SSB and CW to take advantage of those more efficient modes.

I've talked to a few other SOTA folks about 1.2 GHz and I hope we can do some S2S during the Colorado 14er Event and the 10-10-10 event.
Let me know if you are interested and we can coordinate some contacts.

73 Bob
Check out my book:
VHF, Summits and More: Having Fun With Ham Radio