I have to cancel Culebra Peak hike

KD5ZZK

I was planning a 10 day tour of New Mexico with my family starting with Carlsbad Caverns. We were going to head to Ruidoso, Magdalena, then Albuquerque. Our trip was going to conclude in San Luis,CO with a hike up to Culebra Peak for the Colorado 14er Event.

The Cielo Vista Ranch charges $100 per person to hike to the summit. I was willing to pay the fee. However, my family will be with me. $400 is a bit steep, so I was going to be the only one hiking up to the summit. Unfortunately, the Ranch charges this fee to anyone entering the property, not just the hikers. The only other course of action would be for my family to hang out at the motel in San Luis,CO while I take our truck, drive to the Ranch, hike up to the Peak, and get back to the motel in the afternoon.

As much as I would like to hike this summit, it's not worth it for me to leave my family alone for an entire day during a family vacation. I'm sure folks on here will understand. Instead, I've decided for us to stay together and head over to Alpine,AZ to Activate a few SOTA summits over there. I'll make the changes to my posted Alerts on SOTAwatch.

Andrew
KD5ZZK
Baton Rouge,LA
W5A-Arkansas manager