Re: SOTA Resources

KD5ZZK

Matt, I agree with you about the cellphone. Spotting yourself with SMS is kind of like fishing with dynamite. Little challenge, almost too easy. I activate exclusively on Phone (SSB & FM). Not self-spotting myself has almost resulted in several failed activations. There have been a few times I've called CQ for over 45 min. Eventually, I tuned around and found an HF net or some guys ragchewing. You CW guys have the advantage of getting picked up by the RBN. If I could do CW, I wouldn't even consider using my cellphone to self-spot. Again, I agree with you. Your radio should be your primary resource. Maybe self-spotting with an APRS HT would be more in the spirit. That way an activator would only be using Amateur Radio, not cellular network. Andrew KD5ZZK