Re: KI6ASW Crestone Peak Log

Bob K0NR

Hi Vince...

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 08-Aug-18 11:01 PM, ve11a@... [ham14er] wrote:
Finally summited Crestone on Sunday (it was my 3rd attempt for that one). Conditions were light fog at the peak on the way up, which dissipated and were pretty good on the rest of the nearby Sangres. That said you could see clouds around in most directions, and slight rain fell on the way down. Hiked up the night before- over estimated my speed some and ended up hiking down BHP in the dark with a headlamp. I had generated some packets at home, I played those on the phone through the Baofeng- and that actually worked! One from the Pass, One at the peak. I camped near Cottonwood Lake, hit the trail around 7:30AM, summited around 9;30AM. RF Conditions on Crestone were frustrating. Seemed the packet had no issues getting out (aprs.fi)  I could work the folks on Kit Carson, but we probably could have yodeled to one another for what that was worth. I could hear their QSOs with Pikes- I could hear him saying he head my call but that I hadn't replyed to his response. Must have been some shadow effect since Pikes should have had plenty of margin with 7W and 3-el gain. I could of course hear all of the Kit Carson guys' side of their other QSOs, and usually parts of the other side such as their contact in Salida (partial list of callsigns I could hear but not work- W0AJO, WOBV, K0NR hiking down, N1TEW, N0TA)- I just couldn't seem to establish link with the other folks once they finished up. Scrambled down and East maybe .2 miles and 50' vertical (Near the East Crestone non-official peak, just in a wind block behind a rock short of that), gave it another shot with the rubber ducky and suddenly I was working Mt. Bellford and plenty of other folks down in town. Hailstrom on the way out I'd have done without, tons of Big Horn Sheep near Cottonwood were awesome.
Does that mean your Arrow yagi was having a problem? Seems weird you
couldn't work at least some of those stations.

I didn't have my logbook out for the East Peak. QSOs are from memory but I don't have callsigns unfortunately. Should have unpacked it but was cold and ready to descend and tried with the stock antenna on a lark- not expecting anything better than the arrow would have done a few hundred feet over as the crow flies from the climbers' register. Go figure. Hopefully they have mine, I was just happy to be getting through!

Best I can remember:
I had a good QSO with two folks on Topaz Mtn, a SOTA
That would be KX0R and N0TA

73, Bob K0NR