Re: KI6ASW Crestone Peak Log

Vince Vella

Hi Bob-

Thanks for the callsigns.

Not sure on the arrow. Should have pulled it out at that 2nd site but I was ready to get down the mtn. Two other strange things occurred to me when I was trying at the peak register. The 1st was that the Kit Carson folks were full quieting even as I pointed away from them. But the apocryphal transistor and wet noodle would have closed that link, I could easily see straight to them. The other thing was the Pikes station AJO was telling them he was operating into a J-Pole. I could hear him well if I was pointing to him, but scratchy. However, if I turned the antenna horizontal, we was much improved. I don't get that as I thought a J Pole was vertical polarized omni- reflections or two in the path? I did try the stock duck antenna from the Peak too, but no difference between that and the arrow. Anyway, my current theory is there was some shadowing or Fresnel Zone going on with the peaks to the north, even though that doesn't make sense as they should be lower than Pikes at least. I haven't checked out the arrow since, but will do so. I do regularly use it to grab the DUV Telemetry from AO-85 which is much further away and a less than a watt cubesat, so I think it's working. Up top I even bypassed the diplexer and connected the HT via a quad shield shield microwave SMA cable to the arrow director with two connectors- SMA barrel from HT to cable, SMA to BNA at the arrow. Losses should have been negligible. Also, the packets from the peak did go through, showed digipeated via WD4IXD- nearly to Topaz Mtn in Hartsel and much further than Pikes. Radio is weird sometimes.

73s, -Vince

---In ham14er@..., <bob@...> wrote :

Hi Vince...

On 08-Aug-18 11:01 PM, ve11a@... [ham14er] wrote:
> Finally summited Crestone on Sunday (it was my 3rd attempt for that
> one). Conditions were light fog at the peak on the way up, which
> dissipated and were pretty good on the rest of the nearby Sangres.
> That said you could see clouds around in most directions, and slight
> rain fell on the way down. Hiked up the night before- over estimated
> my speed some and ended up hiking down BHP in the dark with a
> headlamp. I had generated some packets at home, I played those on the
> phone through the Baofeng- and that actually worked! One from the
> Pass, One at the peak. I camped near Cottonwood Lake, hit the trail
> around 7:30AM, summited around 9;30AM. RF Conditions on Crestone were
> frustrating. Seemed the packet had no issues getting out (aprs.fi)  I
> could work the folks on Kit Carson, but we probably could have yodeled
> to one another for what that was worth. I could hear their QSOs with
> Pikes- I could hear him saying he head my call but that I hadn't
> replyed to his response. Must have been some shadow effect since Pikes
> should have had plenty of margin with 7W and 3-el gain. I could of
> course hear all of the Kit Carson guys' side of their other QSOs, and
> usually parts of the other side such as their contact in Salida
> (partial list of callsigns I could hear but not work- W0AJO, WOBV,
> K0NR hiking down, N1TEW, N0TA)- I just couldn't seem to establish link
> with the other folks once they finished up. Scrambled down and East
> maybe .2 miles and 50' vertical (Near the East Crestone non-official
> peak, just in a wind block behind a rock short of that), gave it
> another shot with the rubber ducky and suddenly I was working Mt.
> Bellford and plenty of other folks down in town. Hailstrom on the way
> out I'd have done without, tons of Big Horn Sheep near Cottonwood were
> awesome.

Does that mean your Arrow yagi was having a problem? Seems weird you
couldn't work at least some of those stations.

> I didn't have my logbook out for the East Peak. QSOs are from memory
> but I don't have callsigns unfortunately. Should have unpacked it but
> was cold and ready to descend and tried with the stock antenna on a
> lark- not expecting anything better than the arrow would have done a
> few hundred feet over as the crow flies from the climbers' register.
> Go figure. Hopefully they have mine, I was just happy to be getting
> through!
>
> Best I can remember:
> I had a good QSO with two folks on Topaz Mtn, a SOTA

That would be KX0R and N0TA

73, Bob K0NR