Re: KI6ASW Crestone Peak Log

Bob K0NR

Rex,
I no longer care about the radio propagation but please give me the exact lat/lon of the huge gold deposits :-)

73 Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 09-Aug-18 9:17 PM, Rex Ishmael wd0ajg@... [ham14er] wrote:

I have not taken up the art of SOTA or 14 teener radio... I should but in this case my study from years ago when I lived in the Valley tells me that your signals were being bounced by the Lost Gold ledge or maybe some other of the "huge" deposits said to exist in that area...  numerous lost gold mine stories abound for those peaks and the further confusion of signals by the spanish caves, and other artifacts could have cause your signals to be "wierdly" bounced around...
http://geologypark.com/treasure/colorado/tales/co016a.jsp <http://geologypark.com/treasure/colorado/tales/co016a.jsp>

http://geologypark.net/treasure/colorado/tales/co023a.jsp <http://geologypark.net/treasure/colorado/tales/co023a.jsp>

I follow the adventures of you Mountaineers with wonder and should gte busy with the chase but never seem to be around when your out...

WD0AJG

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:08 PM, ve11a@... <mailto:ve11a@...> [ham14er] <ham14er@... <mailto:ham14er@...>> wrote:

Hi Bob-

Thanks for the callsigns.

Not sure on the arrow. Should have pulled it out at that 2nd site
but I was ready to get down the mtn. Two other strange things
occurred to me when I was trying at the peak register. The 1st was
that the Kit Carson folks were full quieting even as I pointed
away from them. But the apocryphal transistor and wet noodle would
have closed that link, I could easily see straight to them. The
other thing was the Pikes station AJO was telling them he was
operating into a J-Pole. I could hear him well if I was pointing
to him, but scratchy. However, if I turned the antenna horizontal,
we was much improved. I don't get that as I thought a J Pole was
vertical polarized omni- reflections or two in the path? I did try
the stock duck antenna from the Peak too, but no difference
between that and the arrow. Anyway, my current theory is there was
some shadowing or Fresnel Zone going on with the peaks to the
north, even though that doesn't make sense as they should be lower
than Pikes at least. I haven't checked out the arrow since, but
will do so. I do regularly use it to grab the DUV Telemetry from
AO-85 which is much further away and a less than a watt cubesat,
so I think it's working. Up top I even bypassed the diplexer and
connected the HT via a quad shield shield microwave SMA cable to
the arrow director with two connectors- SMA barrel from HT to
cable, SMA to BNA at the arrow. Losses should have been
negligible. Also, the packets from the peak did go through, showed
digipeated via WD4IXD- nearly to Topaz Mtn in Hartsel and much
further than Pikes. Radio is weird sometimes.

73s, -Vince

---In ham14er@... <mailto:ham14er@...>,
<bob@...> wrote :

Hi Vince...

Bob Witte / K0NR / bob@... <mailto:bob@...> / www.k0nr.com
<http://www.k0nr.com>

On 08-Aug-18 11:01 PM, ve11a@... <mailto:ve11a@...> [ham14er]
wrote:
> Finally summited Crestone on Sunday (it was my 3rd attempt
for that
> one). Conditions were light fog at the peak on the way up,
which
> dissipated and were pretty good on the rest of the nearby
Sangres.
> That said you could see clouds around in most directions,
and slight
> rain fell on the way down. Hiked up the night before- over
estimated
> my speed some and ended up hiking down BHP in the dark with a
> headlamp. I had generated some packets at home, I played
those on the
> phone through the Baofeng- and that actually worked! One
from the
> Pass, One at the peak. I camped near Cottonwood Lake, hit
the trail
> around 7:30AM, summited around 9;30AM. RF Conditions on
Crestone were
(aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi>)  I
> could work the folks on Kit Carson, but we probably could
have yodeled
> to one another for what that was worth. I could hear their
QSOs with
> Pikes- I could hear him saying he head my call but that I
hadn't
> replyed to his response. Must have been some shadow effect
since Pikes
> should have had plenty of margin with 7W and 3-el gain. I
could of
> course hear all of the Kit Carson guys' side of their other
QSOs, and
> usually parts of the other side such as their contact in Salida
> (partial list of callsigns I could hear but not work- W0AJO,
WOBV,
> K0NR hiking down, N1TEW, N0TA)- I just couldn't seem to
establish link
> with the other folks once they finished up. Scrambled down
and East
> maybe .2 miles and 50' vertical (Near the East Crestone
non-official
> peak, just in a wind block behind a rock short of that),
gave it
> another shot with the rubber ducky and suddenly I was
working Mt.
> Bellford and plenty of other folks down in town. Hailstrom
on the way
> out I'd have done without, tons of Big Horn Sheep near
Cottonwood were
> awesome..

Does that mean your Arrow yagi was having a problem? Seems
weird you
couldn't work at least some of those stations.

> I didn't have my logbook out for the East Peak. QSOs are
from memory
> but I don't have callsigns unfortunately. Should have
unpacked it but
> was cold and ready to descend and tried with the stock
antenna on a
> lark- not expecting anything better than the arrow would
have done a
> few hundred feet over as the crow flies from the climbers'
register.
> Go figure. Hopefully they have mine, I was just happy to be
getting
> through!
>
> Best I can remember:
> I had a good QSO with two folks on Topaz Mtn, a SOTA

That would be KX0R and N0TA

73, Bob K0NR

--
Rex