Re: Silent Key [1 Attachment]

Dawna Gerst

Jeff would scare the bejeebers out of me when we would go to Denver or when we would head off for the 14ers event. If someone was pulled over on the side of the road, he pulled over to help them. No matter what.

He was one of the sweetest, kindest men I have ever known. He was also one of the smartest men I have ever known. He could take garbage and create antennas. He could fix anything mechanical from vehicles to radios.

I am honestly in shock. I didn’t know he was sick. Apparently he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer at the end of October.

I am going to miss him.

Dawna

On Jan 2, 2019, at 9:24 PM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

Dawna/KC0FDT, thanks for passing along this sad news of Jeff/N0XDW
becoming a silent key.
I did not know that Jeff was ill.

Jeff was involved in the early days of the Colorado 14er Event, serving
on the Colorado 14er Event Task Force that manages the event. He's been
active in the event and Summits On The Air activity in Colorado. Jeff
(and Phil/N0KE) together hold the 2m all-mode distance record for the
Colorado 14er Event. Operating from Mount Bross, they both worked W7XU
and N0QJM near Parker, South Dakota on 2m CW at a distance of 551 miles.

Attached is a photo of him and another ham doing a Longs Peak activation
a few years back (with some serious antenna hardware).

I'll always remember Jeff as being very friendly and chatty on the air,
always willing to help out. Even to a fault....I recall thinking "come
on Jeff, stop talking, I've got other stations waiting to make a
contact." He will be missed by me and many others on the ham bands.

73 Bob K0NR