Topics

Colorado 14er Event, Summer 2018, Mt. Yale

Gerry Paschal

Hi Bob.  Sorry, but will not be able to make the upcoming lunch.  Still, would like to check in.  During the lunch, please give me a message at 918-695-3974, and I will return call and check in with everyone.

Regards,  Gerry Paschal   KC5JKU 

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 9:19:46 AM CST, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er] wrote:

Good discussion.
Joyce and I don't have much of a plan yet, other than blocking out
Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday on the calendar.
Thursday and Friday will be warm up hikes on SOTA summits, then probably
a 14er on either Saturday or Sunday.
There is usually an increase in SOTA activity in Colorado right before
the 14er event.

I will admit that I've come to appreciate the SOTA summits above 12.5k
feet as you get wonderful views without the crowds that sometimes
convene on the more popular 14ers.

73, Bob K0NR

Bob Witte / K0NR / bob@... / www.k0nr.com

On 13-Feb-18 8:09 AM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] wrote:
>
>
> Mark,
> This is a 14er event...
> We need you up on a 14er that weekend OM!
>
> Good to see Gerry and others already planning ahead for this years
> event!!  I may start thinking about this in several months...
>
> 73, Brad
> WA6MM
>
> ---In ham14er@..., >
> There are several unactivated summits that are part of the Colorado
> Centennials that have not been activated yet. I might do one of those.
> Ice Mountain, W0C/SP-005 13,951 and Emerald Mountain, W0C/SP-006 at
> 13,904 feet are on my short list for Saturday.
>
>  73,
>
> Mark
>
> N0MTN
>
>
>
>

Bob K0NR

Good discussion.
Joyce and I don't have much of a plan yet, other than blocking out Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday on the calendar.
Thursday and Friday will be warm up hikes on SOTA summits, then probably a 14er on either Saturday or Sunday.
There is usually an increase in SOTA activity in Colorado right before the 14er event.

I will admit that I've come to appreciate the SOTA summits above 12.5k feet as you get wonderful views without the crowds that sometimes convene on the more popular 14ers.

73, Bob K0NR

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 13-Feb-18 8:09 AM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] wrote:

Mark,
This is a 14er event...
We need you up on a 14er that weekend OM!

Good to see Gerry and others already planning ahead for this years event!!  I may start thinking about this in several months...

73, Brad
WA6MM

---In ham14er@..., <n0mtn@...> wrote :

There are several unactivated summits that are part of the Colorado Centennials that have not been activated yet. I might do one of those. Ice Mountain, W0C/SP-005 13,951 and Emerald Mountain, W0C/SP-006 at 13,904 feet are on my short list for Saturday.

Mark

N0MTN

Brad - WA6MM

Mark,
This is a 14er event...
We need you up on a 14er that weekend OM!

Good to see Gerry and others already planning ahead for this years event!!  I may start thinking about this in several months...

73, Brad
WA6MM

---In ham14er@..., <n0mtn@...> wrote :

There are several unactivated summits that are part of the Colorado Centennials that have not been activated yet. I might do one of those. Ice Mountain, W0C/SP-005 13,951 and Emerald Mountain, W0C/SP-006 at 13,904 feet are on my short list for Saturday.

Mark

N0MTN

Mark Molberg

Good morning!

I have already been pondering what to climb this year for the 14er event. Last year I climbed Missouri Mountain on Saturday, then worked race communications for the Leadville Boom Days Burro Race on Sunday. I think two 14ers in one weekend might be a bit much for me. I really hope I can work that race again this year on Sunday.

Mark

N0MTN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:40 AM
To: ham14er@...
Subject: [ham14er] Colorado 14er Event, Summer 2018, Mt. Yale

Hi Ham14er Folks.  Greetings from the flatlands.  This year we plan to ascend and work from Mt. Yale.  Last year in the 14er Event we enjoyed making contacts from Humboldt Peak.  We have been monitoring the posts of  reports of injuries and fatalities among climbers, and it truly is heartbreaking and sobering, so we all obviously have to keep that in mind.  Still, we look forward to the challenge.  Hope everyone has a pleasant Spring.

73  Gerry KC5JKU      

Bob K0NR

Gerry,
Great to see that people are already planning for the 14er event.
I confess that this caused me to set up the table in the database for 2018 operating plans, which can be found here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ham14er/database
This table is the place to indicate operating plans. The basic idea is that we can cover more summits and have a more fun event if we spread out a bit.
(If we all end up on the same mountain, it will be a crowded, QRM-filled weekend.)

73, Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 13-Feb-18 7:08 AM, Gerry Paschal oldenburgite@... [ham14er] wrote:

Hi Ham14er Folks.  Greetings from the flatlands.  This year we plan to ascend and work from Mt. Yale. Last year in the 14er Event we enjoyed making contacts from Humboldt Peak. We have been monitoring the posts of  reports of injuries and fatalities among climbers, and it truly is heartbreaking and sobering, so we all obviously have to keep that in mind. Still, we look forward to the challenge.  Hope everyone has a pleasant Spring.

73  Gerry KC5JKU

Gerry Paschal

Hi Ham14er Folks.  Greetings from the flatlands.  This year we plan to ascend and work from Mt. Yale.  Last year in the 14er Event we enjoyed making contacts from Humboldt Peak.  We have been monitoring the posts of  reports of injuries and fatalities among climbers, and it truly is heartbreaking and sobering, so we all obviously have to keep that in mind.  Still, we look forward to the challenge.  Hope everyone has a pleasant Spring.

73  Gerry KC5JKU