Topics

Action Needed: Re-enter your 14er Event plan into the database

Bob K0NR

Short Version:

Please re-enter your 14er Event plans into the groups.io database. The existing file got deleted by mistake.

Long Version:

We've encountered our first software bug in groups.io. One of our members accidentally deleted all rows of the table/database for indicating our event plans. If you already entered your planned summit(s), you need to reenter them. I am calling this a software bug because the permissions on the table are set such that a group member should only be able to edit or delete their own entries. The member should have been blocked from deleting any items that are not theirs. Apparently this is not working correctly.

Corrective Actions:

1) I reported the bug to the groups.io team
2) I will periodically export a backup of the table to my computer so if this happens again, we can recover more cleanly.
3) I also request that members be extremely careful editing the table as the permissions/protections are not reliable.

Sorry about this trouble.
Thanks for your help in recovering from it.

73 Bob K0NR

Good investigative work Bob!  I'll re enter my plans.

73, Brad
Wa6mm

Sent from my phone

On Jul 19, 2019, at 5:57 PM, Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

It appears we are converging to be QRV around 9:30am.  This is good starting point as it will give us a better chance of all working each other S2S in the event weather becomes a problem.  Weather has always been an issue on at least one of the two days in past events.

Yeah, good point. I've noticed in previous years some folks summit around 11:30 AM and many of the other operators have departed well before that.