Topics

Bad weather continues in the San Juans

KD5ZZK

It's 4am local time Sat 8/6 here in the Telluride area. We didn't camp out at the Wilson Peak trailhead due to 60% chance of rain overnight. Hazardous weather continues today. Randy K5RHD and I were holding out hope until our wake up time this morning. After the alarm went off, we both checked our phones and had a decision to make. So disappointing to make all these plans and not follow through. We are now holding out hope for Sunday's weather forecast tomorrow morning. :-(

Andrew
KD5ZZK
Baton Rouge,LA
W5A-Arkansas SOTA manager

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO
517 AM MDT FRI AUG 5 2016

COZ001>014-017>023-UTZ022>025-027>029-061200-
LOWER YAMPA RIVER BASIN-CENTRAL YAMPA RIVER BASIN-
ROAN AND TAVAPUTS PLATEAUS-ELKHEAD AND PARK MOUNTAINS-
UPPER YAMPA RIVER BASIN-GRAND VALLEY-DEBEQUE TO SILT CORRIDOR-
CENTRAL COLORADO RIVER BASIN-GRAND AND BATTLEMENT MESAS-
GORE AND ELK MOUNTAINS/CENTRAL MOUNTAIN VALLEYS-
CENTRAL GUNNISON AND UNCOMPAHGRE RIVER BASIN-
WEST ELK AND SAWATCH MOUNTAINS-FLAT TOPS-
UPPER GUNNISON RIVER VALLEY-UNCOMPAHGRE PLATEAU AND DALLAS DIVIDE-
NORTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-
PARADOX VALLEY/LOWER DOLORES RIVER-
FOUR CORNERS/UPPER DOLORES RIVER-ANIMAS RIVER BASIN-
SAN JUAN RIVER BASIN-SOUTHEAST UTAH-EASTERN UINTA MOUNTAINS-
EASTERN UINTA BASIN-TAVAPUTS PLATEAU-ARCHES/GRAND FLAT-
LA SAL AND ABAJO MOUNTAINS-CANYONLANDS/NATURAL BRIDGES-
517 AM MDT FRI AUG 5 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN UTAH AND WESTERN
COLORADO.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

AMPLE MOISTURE REMAINS IN THE ATMOSPHERE AND WILL ALLOW YET
ANOTHER DAY OF HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS GENERALLY
SOUTHERN AREAS OF THE FORECAST AREA. FLASH FLOODING WILL BE A
DISTINCT POSSIBILITY THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING AS SLOW MOVING
SHOWERS AND STORMS MOVE OVERHEAD. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECTTO
ACCOUNT FOR THIS POSSIBILITY. SOME OVERNIGHT CONVECTION IS ALSO
POSSIBLE.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY

SHOWERS AND STORMS WILL CONTINUE INTO THE WEEKEND THOUGH COVERAGE
AND INTENSITY SHOULD LESSEN SOMEWHAT. A DOWNTURN IN ACTIVITY IS
EXPECTED MONDAY AND TUESDAY BUT BY THURSDAY...MORE CONVECTION
LOOKS TO FIRE UP AGAIN.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED TODAY OR TONIGHT...HOWEVER
SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RELAY RAINFALL AMOUNTS OR ANY OBSERVED
FLOODING TO THE GRAND JUNCTION FORECAST OFFICE.

KD5ZZK

BTW, the Telluride Jazz Festival is this weekend. So our last minute decision to get a room didn't work out so well. The only availability left was $250/night! We ended up finding a small motel in Norwood,CO about 30 mi west for $89/night.

Bob, what time of year is it where all the clear, sunny Colorado photos are taken? This is my second trip to Colorado. First in 2014 14er Event, and this year. It's been cloudy, overcast raining BOTH times. Randy K5RHD (from Albuquerque) says the southwest has a 'monsoon season' this time of year?

Andrew
KD5ZZK
Baton Rouge,LA
W5A-Arkansas SOTA manager

Bob K0NR

The weather looks difficult in many parts of the state today 😫 Do what you can but SAFETY FIRST

BobW
Sent from mobile device

On Aug 6, 2016, at 04:31, kd5zzk@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: kd5zzk@...
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Terry Carter

I had to make the same call about Wetterhorn!  (it also didn't help that everyone I was going hiking with bailed...) I was going to camp at the TH last night, but after talking to a meteorologist at work, decided to postpone activity until Sunday.  I may try Wetterhorn Sunday, but more likely will try something further to the north.

If you do make it to Sneffels, point your antenna toward the north.  There are quite a few hams in the Grand Valley who you should be able to reach!

Terry / KE0HNW (Grand Junction, CO)

michelle blake

I'm in a similar situation. I had planned to hike Democrat Saturday, but the forecast called for rain all night then rain and thunderstorms all day... no matter how early of a start I got. The Sunday forecast is for 5% rain through noon and no mention on thunder/lightening before noon. So, if the weather holds up I will hike Democrat tomorrow. Im looking forward to trying to make contact with you.
Cheers,
Michelle

Golden Fleece Alpacas
Your search ends here.
www.goldenfleecealpacas.com

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." -Nature Conservancy's John Sawhill

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:10 AM, "Bob Witte K0NR bob@... [ham14er]" wrote:

> [...]

> SHOWERS AND STORMS MOVE OVERHEAD. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECTTO
> ACCOUNT FOR THIS POSSIBILITY. SOME OVERNIGHT CONVECTION IS ALSO
> POSSIBLE.
>
> .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY
>
> SHOWERS AND STORMS WILL CONTINUE INTO THE WEEKEND THOUGH COVERAGE
> AND INTENSITY SHOULD LESSEN SOMEWHAT. A DOWNTURN IN ACTIVITY IS
> EXPECTED MONDAY AND TUESDAY BUT BY THURSDAY...MORE CONVECTION
> LOOKS TO FIRE UP AGAIN.
>
> .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...
>
> SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED TODAY OR TONIGHT...HOWEVER
> SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RELAY RAINFALL AMOUNTS OR ANY OBSERVED
> FLOODING TO THE GRAND JUNCTION FORECAST OFFICE.
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: kd5zzk@...
> ------------------------------------
>
> Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!

Christian Wolfbauer

Same here . Not following plans to operate from grays peak also. Next year then.

All the ops ,good luck climbing up .

73s de
OE5CWO

Wolfbauer Christian
Austrian - Co

> [...]

> SHOWERS AND STORMS MOVE OVERHEAD. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECTTO
> ACCOUNT FOR THIS POSSIBILITY. SOME OVERNIGHT CONVECTION IS ALSO
> POSSIBLE.
>
> .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY
>
> SHOWERS AND STORMS WILL CONTINUE INTO THE WEEKEND THOUGH COVERAGE
> AND INTENSITY SHOULD LESSEN SOMEWHAT. A DOWNTURN IN ACTIVITY IS
> EXPECTED MONDAY AND TUESDAY BUT BY THURSDAY...MORE CONVECTION
> LOOKS TO FIRE UP AGAIN.
>
> .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...
>
> SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED TODAY OR TONIGHT...HOWEVER
> SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RELAY RAINFALL AMOUNTS OR ANY OBSERVED
> FLOODING TO THE GRAND JUNCTION FORECAST OFFICE.

> Posted by: kd5zzk@...
>
> Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!

Bob K0NR

Colorado generally has good weather in August which is why we hold the event then.

But its the mountains, so your mileage may vary :-)

73, Bob K0NR