Topics

Capitol Peak Claims Two More Lives

Bob K0NR

Two more hikers killed on Capitol Peak

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/08/22/hikers-aspen-die-fourteener/

Very sad...a young couple in their 20's. Capitol is probably the hardest 14er to climb with no room for route finding error.  Very sad....

-Brad
WA6MM

Mark Molberg

A family friend of mine that has done most of the 14ers texted me last night. He knew the couple that died. Very sad.

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:28 AM, "wa6mm@... [ham14er]" wrote:

Very sad...a young couple in their 20's. Capitol is probably the hardest 14er to climb with no room for route finding error.  Very sad....

-Brad

Another fatality on Capitol on 8/27. This brings the total to five this season. Unbelievable!

Brad

On Aug 28, 2017, at 09:16, wa6mm@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

Another fatality on Capitol on 8/27.  This brings the total to five this season.  Unbelievable!

Brad
WA6MM

------------------------------------
Posted by: wa6mm@...

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   ham14er-digest@...
   ham14er-fullfeatured@...

James Sharp

Very sad

I decided not to take a rig when I climbed Capitol 3 weeks ago with my son and 2 grandsons
The exposure is one thing, but one can't spend much time on top as its about a 4 hour round-trip (for me anyway) from K2 to summit and back

73 and be safe de W5AP

Brad - WA6MM

Congrats on topping out on Capitol Jim...and safely returning!  I've thought about those five climbers on my last activations and it helped reinforce being careful about taking a different descent path that could cliff-out and/or end up on steep dangerous loose rock.