Topics

Chief Mountain Log - Sunday 7 August

Jerry Taylor

On Sunday I activated Chief Mountain W0C/FR-030.  I packed both my HF gear consisting of my KX3, Buddipole vertical and my VX-8 and Elk antenna.  

This was the second time I had activated Chief.  The first time was back in November of 2012.  I was 50 pounds heavier than I am today and really out of shape.  It took me over two hours to climb it in 2012, but almost four years later I did it in just over one hour.  So all the walking I've done has really paid off.  

I setup for HF and began operating at 9 AM.  Between answering questions (why are you up here and what is all this gear) and making contacts, I managed 24 HF QSO's in about 45 minutes.  Furthest station worked on HF (running 10 watts) was New Hampshire.  

Stations worked on HF:

W0MOS, AD1C, N1CC, N1KB, NE4TN, KG3W, K7ZO, VE2JCW, WG0AT, W9MRH, KI4SVM, K2JB, N9FZV, W0MNA, NS7P, VA6FUN, K3SAE, W9RCJ, KK6GMN, KB5IMK, WA9BNZ, N1RCQ, KX3DX, KD0HRM.

20 meters began to fade out and the clouds began to move in so I packed the HF gear away and grabbed the Elk and the VX-8.  Running 5 watts I worked the following stations on 2m FM

KD0WHB, WB9KPT, N0BCB, KK6JQV, KC1EPN

Sunday was certainly the day for S2S or Summit to Summit QSO's.  I worked 8 total including one each in California and Oregon and Mt. Evans, Pikes Peak, Longs Peak, Mt. Herman and Pierson Mountain.  

It was truly a beautiful Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to next years event and to my next SOTA activation hopefully in a few weeks.  

Jerry

--
Jerry G. Taylor - KD0BIK
The Practical Amateur Radio Podcast
http://myamateurradio.com

Curtis Hays II

Great job! On the activation and the weight-loss!

I'm moving to Colorado in two weeks so I can drop weight by going up and down hills a LOT more than I can from Dallas. 

Curtis

6+

On Aug 8, 2016, at 8:28 PM, Jerry Taylor kd0bik@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

On Sunday I activated Chief Mountain W0C/FR-030.  I packed both my HF gear consisting of my KX3, Buddipole vertical and my VX-8 and Elk antenna.  

This was the second time I had activated Chief.  The first time was back in November of 2012.  I was 50 pounds heavier than I am today and really out of shape.  It took me over two hours to climb it in 2012, but almost four years later I did it in just over one hour.  So all the walking I've done has really paid off.  

I setup for HF and began operating at 9 AM.  Between answering questions (why are you up here and what is all this gear) and making contacts, I managed 24 HF QSO's in about 45 minutes.  Furthest station worked on HF (running 10 watts) was New Hampshire.  

Stations worked on HF:

W0MOS, AD1C, N1CC, N1KB, NE4TN, KG3W, K7ZO, VE2JCW, WG0AT, W9MRH, KI4SVM, K2JB, N9FZV, W0MNA, NS7P, VA6FUN, K3SAE, W9RCJ, KK6GMN, KB5IMK, WA9BNZ, N1RCQ, KX3DX, KD0HRM.

20 meters began to fade out and the clouds began to move in so I packed the HF gear away and grabbed the Elk and the VX-8.  Running 5 watts I worked the following stations on 2m FM

Sunday was certainly the day for S2S or Summit to Summit QSO's.  I worked 8 total including one each in California and Oregon and Mt. Evans, Pikes Peak, Longs Peak, Mt. Herman and Pierson Mountain.  

It was truly a beautiful Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to next years event and to my next SOTA activation hopefully in a few weeks.  

Jerry

--
Jerry G. Taylor - KD0BIK

Bob K0NR

Jerry,
What station was on Pierson Mountain?

Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 8/8/2016 7:28 PM, Jerry Taylor kd0bik@... [ham14er] wrote:

On Sunday I activated Chief Mountain W0C/FR-030. I packed both my HF gear consisting of my KX3, Buddipole vertical and my VX-8 and Elk antenna.

This was the second time I had activated Chief. The first time was back in November of 2012. I was 50 pounds heavier than I am today and really out of shape. It took me over two hours to climb it in 2012, but almost four years later I did it in just over one hour. So all the walking I've done has really paid off.

I setup for HF and began operating at 9 AM. Between answering questions (why are you up here and what is all this gear) and making contacts, I managed 24 HF QSO's in about 45 minutes. Furthest station worked on HF (running 10 watts) was New Hampshire.

Stations worked on HF:

20 meters began to fade out and the clouds began to move in so I packed the HF gear away and grabbed the Elk and the VX-8. Running 5 watts I worked the following stations on 2m FM

Sunday was certainly the day for S2S or Summit to Summit QSO's. I worked 8 total including one each in California and Oregon and Mt. Evans, Pikes Peak, Longs Peak, Mt. Herman and Pierson Mountain.

Jerry

--
Jerry G. Taylor - KD0BIK

Jerry Taylor

Hi Bob,

It was Matt, K0MOS on Pierson Mountain (W0C/FR-160). 

Jerry

On Aug 9, 2016 11:12 AM, "'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er]" <ham14er@...> wrote:

Jerry,
What station was on Pierson Mountain?

Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / bob@... / www.k0nr.com

On 8/8/2016 7:28 PM, Jerry Taylor kd0bik@... [ham14er] wrote:
>
>
>
> On Sunday I activated Chief Mountain W0C/FR-030. I packed both my HF
> gear consisting of my KX3, Buddipole vertical and my VX-8 and Elk
> antenna.
>
> This was the second time I had activated Chief. The first time was
> back in November of 2012. I was 50 pounds heavier than I am today and
> really out of shape. It took me over two hours to climb it in 2012,
> but almost four years later I did it in just over one hour. So all
> the walking I've done has really paid off.
>
> I setup for HF and began operating at 9 AM. Between answering
> questions (why are you up here and what is all this gear) and making
> contacts, I managed 24 HF QSO's in about 45 minutes. Furthest station
> worked on HF (running 10 watts) was New Hampshire.
>
> Stations worked on HF:
>
> W0MOS, AD1C, N1CC, N1KB, NE4TN, KG3W, K7ZO, VE2JCW, WG0AT, W9MRH,
> KI4SVM, K2JB, N9FZV, W0MNA, NS7P, VA6FUN, K3SAE, W9RCJ, KK6GMN,
> KB5IMK, WA9BNZ, N1RCQ, KX3DX, KD0HRM.
>
> 20 meters began to fade out and the clouds began to move in so I
> packed the HF gear away and grabbed the Elk and the VX-8. Running 5
> watts I worked the following stations on 2m FM
>
> KD0WHB, WB9KPT, N0BCB, KK6JQV, KC1EPN
>
>
> Sunday was certainly the day for S2S or Summit to Summit QSO's. I
> worked 8 total including one each in California and Oregon and Mt.
> Evans, Pikes Peak, Longs Peak, Mt. Herman and Pierson Mountain.
>
> It was truly a beautiful Sunday morning. I'm looking forward to next
> years event and to my next SOTA activation hopefully in a few weeks.
>
> 73,
> Jerry
>
> --
> Jerry G. Taylor - KD0BIK
> The Practical Amateur Radio Podcast
> http://myamateurradio.com
>
>
>