Topics

Colorado 14er Event - get your plans together

Bob K0NR

Hey Kids,

We've got the Colorado 14er Event coming up on August 5th and 6th, so it's time to get your plan together.
This helps us spread the fun out and not have everyone end up on the same summit at the same time, which causes radio interference.

I see that there are 6 summits already listed in the yahoo groups database. Thanks to those folks for getting this done. Go here to see those and to add your plans:

Put your best thinking out there and if your plans change you can always edit or delete it.
(OK, I have to confess that I have not posted my plan yet...still figuring that out.)

Don't forget that you have ~1800 SOTA (Summits On The Air) peaks to choose from. There has to be one out there that matches your interests and hiking ability!

It's always a good idea to review the operating info on the web site: ham14er.org

73, Bob K0NR

Thanks for the reminder Bob!  I'll post my plans soon.  I'll definitely be doing 14ers on both days.

Brad,
Sounds great.
Its great that you can do 14ers both days. Keep on keepin' on. Mountain Goat status is not that far away!

I am working on a plan that is doing a 14er one day but probably a lesser summit on the other day.
I'm also looking at some SOTA activations on Thursday and Friday.

73, Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 14-Jul-17 3:57 PM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Bob! I'll post my plans soon. I'll definitely be doing 14ers on both days.

Paul Gacek

Guy N7UN and I (W6PNG) will be participating this year. We also need to find some suitable SOTA 14-er peaks for Saturday and Sunday.

Is there any informal get together during the weekend for participants?

Paul

On Jul 14, 2017, at 2:57 PM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Bob!  I'll post my plans soon.  I'll definitely be doing 14ers on both days.

Paul and Guy,
Glad to hear you are joining in the fun.
The event participants are spread all over the state so we don't have a get together planned.
In the past, there have been some ad hoc local gatherings of people.

73, Bob

On 14-Jul-17 4:28 PM, Paul Gacek w6png@... [ham14er] wrote:

Guy N7UN and I (W6PNG) will be participating this year. We also need to find some suitable SOTA 14-er peaks for Saturday and Sunday.

Is there any informal get together during the weekend for participants?

Paul

On Jul 14, 2017, at 2:57 PM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Bob!  I'll post my plans soon.  I'll definitely be doing 14ers on both days.

Brian

N6IZ will once again attempt to weasel in on the glory of the Colo. 14 er event from some 14 er in the California Sierra's or Cascade.   I hope the time difference will allow reasonable propagation before weather clears the slopes.

Curtis Hays II

I'm on my phone and the place to post plans isn't loading so I'll try and remember later this weekend.

Andrew KD5ZZK and I are planning on camping out at the trailhead of Redcloud/Sunshine Friday night and activating both 14ers on Saturday then Handies on Sunday and maybe some lower summit on Monday.

I'm going to activate tomorrow so watch for me. I'm bringing my 2m arrow yagi so watch for me.

73,
Curtis
KC5CW

Bob K0NR

Welcome, Brian.
Sounds like a great Summit-to-Summit opportunity!

On 14-Jul-17 11:26 PM, brianb@... [ham14er] wrote:

N6IZ will once again attempt to weasel in on the glory of the Colo. 14 er event from some 14 er in the California Sierra's or Cascade. I hope the time difference will allow reasonable propagation before weather clears the slopes.

Posted by: brianb@...

Hi Bob (K0NR),
I hope we have a good weather window for both days this year.  The first day of the event last year was cold, windy and rainy so only a few of us got to our respective summits.  I have at least another 15 summits to go for MG  so it will take awhile based on my self-imposed rules!

Hi Paul (W6PNG),
I'll be camping out near Buena Vista and doing some of the Collegiate Peak 14ers.  I'd be happy to meet up with guys once you decide what peaks you're doing.  I haven't heard if any of the New Mexico guys are coming up for this years event.  BTW, congrats on reaching MG status!

Hi Brian (N6IZ),
I see you posted your CA 14er operating time as 1500 MDT (perhaps you meant 1500 UTC?).  Most of us climbing 14ers will probably be off the summits by noon due to thunder storms and lightning.  I suppose guys that do the "driveup" peaks like Pikes or Evans could still be around as they can escape weather a lot quicker than the rest of us.  If you meant 1500 UTC then we will have a chance for a S2S.

Brad,

The weather is always a variable.
One thing for people to consider is to create a plan for Saturday and if the weather isn't good, you've got a second chance on Sunday.
In any case, plan to be below treeline around noon.

Which raises another point...there are LOTS of SOTA peaks that are below treeline, so they may be an option when the weather is suboptimal.
You still need to watch for lightning but the lower peaks have a shorter retreat time.

On 15-Jul-17 8:14 AM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] wrote:
Hi Bob (K0NR),
I hope we have a good weather window for both days this year. The first day of the event last year was cold, windy and rainy so only a few of us got to our respective summits. I have at least another 15 summits to go for MG so it will take awhile based on my self-imposed rules!

Brian

To K0NR,

Check your email about Santa Clara visit.

Brian

'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er] wrote:

Welcome, Brian.
Sounds like a great Summit-to-Summit opportunity!

On 14-Jul-17 11:26 PM, brianb@... [ham14er] wrote:

> N6IZ will once again attempt to weasel in on the glory of the Colo. 14
> er event from some 14 er in the California Sierra's or Cascade. I
> hope the time difference will allow reasonable propagation before
> weather clears the slopes.

> Posted by: brianb@...

Pelagic Autopilot LLC