Topics

Colorado 14er Event Results - rev 1

Bob K0NR

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone that came out and played radio this weekend in the Colorado 14er Event. This includes activators and chasers...both are fun and important ways to participate.

I've put together a list of summits activated based on the logs posted to this group (attached). I am sure it is incomplete and may have a few errors, so let me know what needs to be changed. (Usually it takes a few iterations to get it right.) It shows 16 unique summits (11 of them 14ers) activated over the weekend. Clearly, the weather on Saturday slammed the participation but Sunday had more typical weather with good activity. I was hoping we would get more than 20 summits on the air over the weekend, which would probably have happened if we had more activity on Saturday. Oh, well: Safety First.

This is the first time we had the event span the whole weekend (Sat and Sun). While Saturday did not yield very many activations, the weather could have gone the other way and Sunday might have been a bust. The event task force will probably want to continue this approach in future years but let us know what you think.

73, Bob

Hi Bob (K0NR),
I forgot to post the N2GBR log for Rogers Peak.  He did that peak on Sunday after Mt Evans and before we drove back down.  I've attached that log if you want to include it in your overall record.  Rogers is only a 13er so I didn't originally include it in our joint results.

Hmmm...I'll try attaching the file again...

---In ham14er@..., <wa6mm@...> wrote :

Hi Bob (K0NR),
I forgot to post the N2GBR log for Rogers Peak.  He did that peak on Sunday after Mt Evans and before we drove back down.  I've attached that log if you want to include it in your overall record.  Rogers is only a 13er so I didn't originally include it in our joint results.

Scott Bastian

Bob,   having grown up in Gunnsion and climbing many of the 14ers as a kid, now I am in California and plan next year on being in Colorado for this event next year.  One of the driving forces is having it available over more than one day just as you found out this year weather can be a big factor.  With driving a thousand miles to come be on a peak multiple days will be the way to go!

73 Scott AK6Q

Brad - WA6MM

I'm with Scott...although I'm a Colorado local.  The weather is unpredictable here so it's good to have two days!

---In ham14er@..., <kd6qzx@...> wrote :

Bob,   having grown up in Gunnsion and climbing many of the 14ers as a kid, now I am in California and plan next year on being in Colorado for this event next year.  One of the driving forces is having it available over more than one day just as you found out this year weather can be a big factor.  With driving a thousand miles to come be on a peak multiple days will be the way to go!

73 Scott AK6Q

Bob K0NR

Thanks, Scott.

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 8/10/2016 7:55 AM, @AK6Q [ham14er] wrote:

Bob, having grown up in Gunnsion and climbing many of the 14ers as a kid, now I am in California and plan next year on being in Colorado for this event next year. One of the driving forces is having it available over more than one day just as you found out this year weather can be a big factor. With driving a thousand miles to come be on a peak multiple days will be the way to go!

73 Scott AK6Q

_

nmmi9100

I think it was great to run the event for both Saturday and Sunday as it allowed for a better chance of having a weather window that worked for a greater portion of the state.  I hope you plan it this way in future years too.  It certainly provides more chances for success.

For the log on Mt Antero, I was operating on both 2 meters (FM) and 20 meters (SSB).

Thanks for another great event!

/David

N4MMI

Bob K0NR

David,
Thanks for the input on the weekend format. I have not heard anyone argue for one day only (so far).

The only argument that I can think of against the weekend approach is that the activations will get spread out over two days and decrease the potential for Summit-To-Summit (S2S) contacts. That is, if everyone is on the summit at the same time, there's more S2S. While this has some logic to it, other factors also come into play: some activators are only available on either Sat or Sun, activators arrive/depart the summit at varying times, activators have different preferences on bands/modes, etc. All of these things reduce the likelihood of everyone working everyone for S2S contacts.

Thanks for the correction on Antero (VHF/HF).

73, Bob