From: Randy Diddel
To: Scotty Wright
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 7:26 AM
Subject: Fwd: [ham14er] Digest Number 879

This was posted by one of your chasers in the 14er forum….

/randy

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: [ham14er] Digest Number 879
Date: August 15, 2016 at 3:45:20 AM MDT

1 Message

Digest #879

Message

1a

Re: Mt Sneffels log Sunday Aug 7

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:09 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

nmmi9100

The summit on Handies is huge, so I'm sure something else was the problem. I was there for my 5th summit of that peak on 23 July 2016...it was my 11 year old's 3rd summit of Handies. Not sure what problem NM5SW was having, but it wasn't summit size on Handies. I've setup a 20 meter half wave dipole on crappie poles on that summit before without issue, other than fast moving weather.

Handies is tied with Uncompahgre for my favorite 14er. Great peak, nice and easy from American Basin.

'73

/David / N4MMI
Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!

nmmi9100

Glad you got down from Handies safe, Scotty!  Making good decisions on when to bail due to weather is the most important part of hiking 14ers.

I had weather come in fast when I activated that peak a few years ago, and I stayed on top too long, paying too much attention to operating and not enough on weather.  Now I keep my head up out of the log more than I did on that occasion.

Cheers!

/David