Topics

Emergency- Trying to reach Caleb W4XEN (Longs Peak Trip Today)

Caleb W4XEN

Hi everyone-- I am the wife of Caleb Moose W4XEN. Can anyone help me try to reach Caleb W4XEN on radio? He is currently descending Longs Peak and I received messages that he may be in trouble. Possibly experiencing heat exhaustion/out of water. Approx 30 minutes ago he was 4 miles from the end of the trial.  I have contacted the Dispatch for Rocky Mtn National park and they are trying to reach him. It would be a help to get his gps coordinates but I do not have those.

My hope is someone can reach him via radio or have details on the route he took so I can pass this information to dispatch/ranger. I knew he had big plans to talk to many of you today in this SOTA event.

My # is 336-870-4544 and would appreciate the help.

Bob K0NR

Anyone up north around Longmont, Loveland, Fort Collins? Maybe get on 146.52 and 147.42 MHz to try to contact Caleb. I am too far south.

Bob K0NR
Sent from mobile device

On Aug 3, 2019, at 16:42, Caleb W4XEN <ultralite.moose@...> wrote:

Hi everyone-- I am the wife of Caleb Moose W4XEN. Can anyone help me try to reach Caleb W4XEN on radio? He is currently descending Longs Peak and I received messages that he may be in trouble. Possibly experiencing heat exhaustion/out of water. Approx 30 minutes ago he was 4 miles from the end of the trial.  I have contacted the Dispatch for Rocky Mtn National park and they are trying to reach him. It would be a help to get his gps coordinates but I do not have those.

My hope is someone can reach him via radio or have details on the route he took so I can pass this information to dispatch/ranger. I knew he had big plans to talk to many of you today in this SOTA event.

My # is 336-870-4544 and would appreciate the help.

Bob K0NR

Brittany,
Tell the park service that Caleb is on the Keyhole route. That’s the most popular one so they probably assumed that.

BobW
Sent from mobile device

On Aug 3, 2019, at 16:42, Caleb W4XEN <ultralite.moose@...> wrote:

Hi everyone-- I am the wife of Caleb Moose W4XEN. Can anyone help me try to reach Caleb W4XEN on radio? He is currently descending Longs Peak and I received messages that he may be in trouble. Possibly experiencing heat exhaustion/out of water. Approx 30 minutes ago he was 4 miles from the end of the trial.  I have contacted the Dispatch for Rocky Mtn National park and they are trying to reach him. It would be a help to get his gps coordinates but I do not have those.

My hope is someone can reach him via radio or have details on the route he took so I can pass this information to dispatch/ranger. I knew he had big plans to talk to many of you today in this SOTA event.

My # is 336-870-4544 and would appreciate the help.

Brad - WA6MM

Brittany
You can also just call 911 and tell them the route Caleb is doing. They will relay that info to the local sheriff office and SAR the covers that area.

-Brad

Sent from my phone

On Aug 3, 2019, at 5:03 PM, Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm sure he will be fine as there will be many people hiking that route with him!!!

Sent from my phone

On Aug 3, 2019, at 5:10 PM, Wa6mm <wa6mm@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the help. I am in contact with SAR (called them about 45 min ago) and they are dispatching ranger. Joe (KX0Y) is in direct shot of Longs Peak and is trying to contact him on a couple of frequencies Bob suggested.

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 5:11 PM Wa6mm <wa6mm@...> wrote:
[...]

Man...what a relief to hear from you Caleb!!!!!  I hope you get back down ok.

-Brad

Sent from my phone

On Aug 3, 2019, at 5:15 PM, Caleb W4XEN <ultralite.moose@...> wrote:

[...]

Great news! Just got off the phone with dispatch and they have mad contact with Caleb! They have sent a ranger out to him and she said he sounds like he's doing alright. Thank you so much everyone for all of the help!

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 5:12 PM Wa6mm <wa6mm@...> wrote:
[...]

Awesome!!! Thanks for the update Brittany.
-Brad

Sent from my phone