Topics

Fall 14er Activation Attempt

Terry Carter

Hello All!

Some friends and I are going to attempt the Decalibron Loop on Saturday, 10/1.  As long as the weather holds....  I will be bringing my FM HT with me and will attempt to activate Mt. Democrat (W0C/SR-059) and/or Mt. Lincoln (W0C/FR-001) that day.  I will try both 2m and 440 on 146.52 & 446.000.  We will be on Democrat first, and we're hoping to be at the summit by sunrise.  We will hike in the usual clockwise direction around the loop, putting us at Lincoln hopefully no more than two hours later!  All depending on the weather of course!

I will also list my intentions on sotawatch!

Also, I have a question about etiquette on VHF/UHF. I am a fairly new operator, but I have been exposed to Ham radio all my life (My dad K0GUZ has been licensed since he was 13!). I have been told that calling CQ on VHF/UHF  is not how it's done.  In August during the 14er contest, most operators, myself included, followed the guidelines offered for the 14er contest of call sign and summit designator.  Because I'm not operating during a contest, is there another proper way to call attention to myself to get the QSOs?

Thanks!

Terry (KE0HNW)

Bob K0NR

I typically say something like this when making a call:
CQ Two meters this is K 0 November Romeo on Mt Democrat for Summits in the Air.
Anyone around?

Bob K0NR

Sent from mobile device

On Sep 24, 2016, at 09:30, carterterrence@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Bob!!

On Sep 24, 2016, at 10:36, Bob Witte K0NR bob@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff <jeff@...>

Feel free to call CQ, just not on a repeater frequency. 146.52, 146.55, 147.42 etc. or 144.200 USB.

On Sep 24, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Bob Witte K0NR bob@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm running a bit behind. We summited Democrat at sunrise, and are currently on Cameron. Should be on Lincoln within the hour. I'll call out on 146.52 and 446.00!