Topics

First Activation of Maroon Peak - KI6YMZ

Bob K0NR

Congrats to David/KI6YMZ for the first SOTA activation of Maroon Peak (W0C/WE-002) today.
One of the Colorado 14ers and not an "easy" one.

73 Bob

Mark Molberg

Congratulations David! Thank you for the S2S. I was on Mount Sherman today. Spent almost three hours on the summit.

73
Mark
N0MTN

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er]
wrote:

Congrats to David/KI6YMZ for the first SOTA activation of Maroon Peak
(W0C/WE-002) today.
One of the Colorado 14ers and not an "easy" one.

73 Bob

Nicely done David (KI6YMZ)!!  I really like the fact that you and several other activators were really close or ahead of their posted times.  It was great to work KI6YMZ, N0MTN, K0NR, K0JJW, and K0ETT on their respective 14ers today.  The weather tuned out to be better than predicted earlier in the week.  I ended up with 40 contacts (many HF!!).  I missed some of the activators who were QRV after I went QRT.

We'll try it again tomorrow.

David Stillman

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It was not an easy peak, but I got an early start. Was great working the other 14ers and a handful of stations around the US on hf, including a couple S2S!

Headed to camp at another trailhead now, if my legs and the weather allow I should be up Mt. of the Holy Cross by 9 or so tomorrow.

73

Sorry for the typos, sent from a mobile device

On Aug 4, 2018, at 17:25, wa6mm@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

Nicely done David (KI6YMZ)!!  I really like the fact that you and several other activators were really close or ahead of their posted times.  It was great to work KI6YMZ, N0MTN, K0NR, K0JJW, and K0ETT on their respective 14ers today.  The weather tuned out to be better than predicted earlier in the week.  I ended up with 40 contacts (many HF!!).  I missed some of the activators who were QRV after I went QRT.

We'll try it again tomorrow.

David,
I hope you took some pictures of your HF antenna setup on Maroon! I'd be interested in seeing that my friend.  I hope to work you again 14er S2S tomorrow.

David Stillman

I sure did, will send along when at a real computer with more than one bar of 1x reception. I did the traverse from maroon to north maroon as well, and have video of that. It was pretty exciting :)

Maybe you could jump to SSB tomorrow and work a no-code wimp such as myself... new end of summer goal is to finish learning CW!

On Aug 4, 2018, at 17:51, wa6mm@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

David,
I hope you took some pictures of your HF antenna setup on Maroon! I'd be interested in seeing that my friend.  I hope to work you again 14er S2S tomorrow.

Paul Gacek

Thanks, David KI6YMZ for W0C/WE-002 and Mark N0MTN for W0C/SR-061.

Both S2S from the very smokey White Mountains, California. Ferguson fire near Yosemite was the source.

Paul W6PNG