Topics

First time Contester - Suggestions?

Ben Segars

I really want to take part in the 14ers SOTA this year. I'm travelling from Texas and will be staying in Silverthorne from Friday night through Tuesday. I'm going to hike Quandary on Saturday, but can't make any guarantees on summitting, so I don't want to list as activating that summitt.

I am bringing my yagi and my base station to try and hit some peaks from the house I'm staying at. My roll up j-pole might be enough.

Does anybody have any suggestions? This will be my first contest to partake in, so I'm really just worried about etiquette and breaking rules.

Thanks!

Ben - KG5RJP

Bob K0NR

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the party.
Don't worry too much about signing up and then not making the summit. Any of us can have that occur due to other priorities, illness, bad weather, whatever.

Quandary is probably a good choice for a first 14er. Just start early in the morning. Maybe hit the trail at 5 or 6 am.
Have you looked at the ham14er.org web site? Lots of good info there.
What bands do you expect to use? Just VHF/UHF or others?

73, Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 03-Aug-17 12:52 PM, benjamin_segars@... [ham14er] wrote:

I really want to take part in the 14ers SOTA this year. I'm travelling from Texas nd will be staying in Silverthorne from Friday night through Tuesday. I'm going to hike Quandary on Saturday, but can't make any guarantees on summitting, so I don't want to list as activating that summitt.

I am bringing my yagi and my base station to try and hit some peaks from the house I'm staying at. My roll up j-pole might be enough.

Does anybody have any suggestions? This will be my first contest to partake in, so I'm really just worried about etiquette and breaking rules.

Thanks!

Ben - KG5RJP

Jeff <jeff@...>

Well...
We didn't intend it as a contest, however I believe there will be a contest running concurrently with the 14 er event. Bob is a wealth of information on the event, but you can glean a lot just from reading the recent archives.

Good luck on your climb. We will be looking forward to hearing you wherever you get to

On Aug 3, 2017, at 19:01, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Bob Witte (K0NR)" <@K0NR>
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Ben Segars

I'll be sticking to FM on VHF and UHF. I like to keep it simple and cheap.

I'm one of those that got into operating for disaster preparedness, and I figure those are the two bands that are most common for local traffic, and are cheaper than getting into HF. One of these days, I'll start exploring the other modes and bands, but for now, I'm keeping it simple.

Are you climbing a peak? I don't remember seeing one by your call, but I was getting used to the layout, so could have missed it.

Hopefully, I'll talk to you on the air tomorrow!
-Ben

On Aug 3, 2017, at 7:01 PM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the party.
Don't worry too much about signing up and then not making the summit.
Any of us can have that occur due to other priorities, illness, bad
weather, whatever.

Quandary is probably a good choice for a first 14er. Just start early in
the morning. Maybe hit the trail at 5 or 6 am.
Have you looked at the ham14er.org web site? Lots of good info there.
What bands do you expect to use? Just VHF/UHF or others?

73, Bob

On 03-Aug-17 12:52 PM, benjamin_segars@... [ham14er] wrote:

> I really want to take part in the 14ers SOTA this year. I'm travelling
> from Texas nd will be staying in Silverthorne from Friday night
> through Tuesday. I'm going to hike Quandary on Saturday, but can't
> make any guarantees on summitting, so I don't want to list as
> activating that summitt.
>
> I am bringing my yagi and my base station to try and hit some peaks
> from the house I'm staying at. My roll up j-pole might be enough.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions? This will be my first contest to
> partake in, so I'm really just worried about etiquette and breaking
> rules.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben - KG5RJP

Bob K0NR

Ben,
Joyce K0JJW and I are doing Huron Peak on Saturday and Mt Evans on Sunday. (We hope.)
I think we are just taking 2m and 70cm FM this year, maybe a bit more stuff on Evans.
I hope to work you then!

73, Bob K0NR

On 04-Aug-17 6:37 AM, Benjamin Segars benjamin_segars@... [ham14er] wrote:

I'll be sticking to FM on VHF and UHF. I like to keep it simple and cheap.

I'm one of those that got into operating for disaster preparedness, and I figure those are the two bands that are most common for local traffic, and are cheaper than getting into HF. One of these days, I'll start exploring the other modes and bands, but for now, I'm keeping it simple.

Are you climbing a peak? I don't remember seeing one by your call, but I was getting used to the layout, so could have missed it.

Hopefully, I'll talk to you on the air tomorrow!
-Ben

Sent from my iPad

Have you looked at the ham14er.org <http://ham14er.org> web site? Lots of good info there.

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR <mailto:@K0NR> / www.k0nr.com <http://www.k0nr.com>

On 03-Aug-17 12:52 PM, benjamin_segars@... <mailto:benjamin_segars@...> [ham14er] wrote:

I really want to take part in the 14ers SOTA this year. I'm travelling
from Texas nd will be staying in Silverthorne from Friday night
through Tuesday. I'm going to hike Quandary on Saturday, but can't
make any guarantees on summitting, so I don't want to list as
activating that summitt.

I am bringing my yagi and my base station to try and hit some peaks
from the house I'm staying at. My roll up j-pole might be enough.

Does anybody have any suggestions? This will be my first contest to
partake in, so I'm really just worried about etiquette and breaking
rules.

Thanks!

Ben - KG5RJP

Bryan

On W0C/PR-108 now. Forgot my coax!  Life with a toddler makes you forget stuff. But it was a fun hike!

Bryan N0BCB