Topics

FT-817 Blown Finals club for the big 14er event

Jeff <jeff@...>

It seems the FT-817 I have used on various 14er events, including Longs peak in 2003 bit the dust. Estimated output is about 30-50 mw. Thanks to the folks operating on other summits that were able to copy and make successful contacts with me this year. The previous outing there was no sign of trouble with the output,  but I did notice the battery was lower than it should have been. It all matches up with the symptoms others have posted when there was a failure. I am not in a position to acquire the brand new KX2 so hopefully I will be able to get a new finals board from Yaesu soon. Perhaps I should have brought a backup for HF ;-)

Weather was exceptionally great Sunday. No winds to speak of, lots of activity on HF, 2, and 70cm. Great to see Hon on Pikes, was able to make contact with him on 2 and 70cm.

Had to admire the job Skyler did. He lugged a pretty good size AGM battery to power up his equipment and had a nice operating position right on the top. Didn’t think to snap a pic would have been a good one for the archives.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring paper to log on this time so I will be watching for Logs to be posted.

73 de NØXDW

Brad - WA6MM

Hi Jeff,
Were you the station people were saying your audio was distorted?  In any event, sorry to hear about your 817.  You should look at QRZ and Ebay for used 817's in parallel with assessing having your rig repaired.

---In ham14er@..., <jeff@...> wrote :

[...]

I ordered a new board directly from Yaesu. I will install when I get a chance. It is the updated design. I think the blown PA might have caused some distortion. I will have to see how it sounds.

Interestingly it seemed to work fine the last time I had it out.

Wonder why it took 2 days for it to post.