Topics

Grays report

k3og

Hey All,

Chris (K0CAO) and I had a successful trip to the
summit of Grays Peak (14,270') carrying 5 radios, 9
antennas (including rubber ducks and an extendable
whip), 4 gel-cell batteries, a 28 foot fiberglass
pole, and misc. other stuff totaling about 80 lbs. We
had a blast and made about 70 contacts between us.
Chris uploaded some photos of our much stared-at setup
on his qsl.net site. Go to http://www.qsl.net/k0cao/
then click on 'Colorado 14er'.

I enjoyed listening to the other climbers talk about
our setup including one who thanked us for having a
summit marker in place (the 28' pole). I do feel a
little guilty not having talked to more of the people
who clearly wondered what we were up to.

Our Equipment List:
Ft 100D
Icom IC-207H Dual band FM mobile
220 HT
VX5R
FT50RD
Random wire antenna tuner
Maxxon 2 element 6 meter beam
Cushcraft 2m/70cm 6 element beam
homebrew 2 meter tape measure beam
40' random wire antenna
3 7amp 12V batteries
1 4.5 amp 12V Battery
28' extendable fiberglass pole

Think we ended up w/ about a dozen contacts on 6m SSB
including several 14ers, OH, MI, IN, and AR but
couldn't work the couple of XE's we heard. We had
successful contacts on 20m, 17m, 15m, 6m, 2m, 70cm,
and one 1.2m (223.5 MHz FM) contact. Chris was mostly
on 6m and HF and I was mostly on 2m, and 70cm but we
did switch it up. Chris also got to work his brother
Matt (K7MWD) in AZ on several bands which I thought
was very cool.

This was my 2nd time operating from a 14er during the
event and 21th climb to the summit of a 14er. I have
to say with a 40lb pack full of radios and antennas,
it was also one of the most tiring efforts.

My thanks to Chris for making the trip a successful
and fun one... and for putting the trip on the web.

73's

- Pete, K3OG

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Bob Witte K0NR <k0nr-list@...>

Chris and Pete,
Nice job on the web page. Thanks for participating in the event.

You guys carried quite the load.
I've noticed that, in general, repeat participants in the 14er event
tend to take less radio gear each year as they hone their operating
habits and get tired from lugging a heavy pack. We'll be monitoring
to see how your habits evolve!

[...]

K. Mark Caviezel

Chris, Pete, Bob:

wow, great job on the website pics, really captures
the spirit of the event. I 'activated' Torrey's Peak
(immediately adjacent) last year, so seeing your
photos was cool. This year I had a half-hearted
attempt which didn't really go anywhere. Bob is
right though, last year I had 5 or 6 HTs and 70 cm and
2m beams.... this year a single 2m HT was my sole
radio though.

- KMC

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/