Topics

HF contacts on 14.260

Dave

Hi All:
Heard K0YB on 14.260, but couldn't compete w/higher power stations
calling K0YB. We had fun however, with the 1st ever "Ohio 1.1er"!.
We made several contacts on 18.1575 w/HFPack stations, SSB and CW
using the FT 817 w/battery and dipole antennas on 20 and 17 mtrs.

So thanks to all who listened for us and look forward to next year.
Maybe we will have more than 5 watts. I'll post a pic or two when I
download from my camera.

73, Dave, WB2DFC

Jeff <n0xdw@...>

Hi Dave
Turns out Longs Peak was tougher than we (Ron KLMD and myself) were this
year. We did call cq HFpack on 17 meters, it may have been 18.151 though no
wander no response. We tuned pretty much all the way across 17, and it seemed
dead so we went to 20 and made a contact with a gentleman in Washington
state, not too strong a report 33, but not bad for a 17 Meter dipole on 20
and only the FT-817. We had a dipole precut for 20, but alas the coax went
bad on it... We set up on the side of the trail at a bit over 13K feet. At
least a couple of the hikers were very impressed when they heard us talk with
the station in Washington. One just paused on the trail for several minutes
till we signed with him, then talked to us as we started putting all the gear
up. The little 817 puts out some real good sounding audio on the built in
speaker. Sorry we missed you on 17 and if it had not been so late in the day
we would have called CQ on 20. We simply listened in to a conversation and
then called him with on the 2.5 watt setting, he heard us, but when we
returned he could not copy so we moved the antenna a bit set power to full 5
watt setting and then was able to tell him the location etc. If i ever do
this again we will reserve a camp spot in march so we will have plenty of
time to scale the top. We tried to reserve one, but we were too late. I did
not realize that you had to reserve a back country permit until too late. We
tried to scale in one day and should have made it, but made a couple
mistakes. Got off on the wrong path once and had to back track quite a ways
and got off the path entirely, it went down and we went up... so we finally
gave up on summiting about a half mile from the top. It may well be a first
for hf from that mountain, at least for the event. sorry to all who had hoped
to work us from the top.
NXDW

wb2dfc wrote:

Hi All:
Heard K0YB on 14.260, but couldn't compete w/higher power stations
calling K0YB. We had fun however, with the 1st ever "Ohio 1.1er"!.
We made several contacts on 18.1575 w/HFPack stations, SSB and CW
using the FT 817 w/battery and dipole antennas on 20 and 17 mtrs.

Dave

--- In ham14er@y..., Jeff <n0xdw@p...> wrote:
Hi Dave
Turns out Longs Peak was tougher than we (Ron KØLMD and myself)
were this
year.

Jef and Rod..... AA++++ Effort.... Will look for you on Akron to
Akron sched.. Thanks for trying during the 14er.
73, Dave,WB2DFc