Topics

How about 1.2 GHz?

Bob K0NR

I've seen some discussion in various SOTA forums about the challenge of using UHF and higher frequencies for SOTA.
This has got me thinking about trying the bands above 2 meters for SOTA.
(This is going to weird out Brad WA6MM, who keeps telling me to move to lower frequencies, AKA the HF bands :-))

Obviously, lots of people have gear for 440 MHz, so that one is "easy", in terms of equipment.
Do any of you have gear for 1.2 GHz? Like one of those Alinco HTs?
Perhaps we can play around with that band this summer.

73, Bob

kb7asm2000

Sounds like a great idea. I don't currently have any 1.2G gear but a HT or similar may be in my future. Seems like a compact antenna could get you a lot of gain.

I really do plan to get up at least a SOTA or 14er this year.

Glen

WE7C

On 03/17/2017 07:53 AM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er] wrote:

I've seen some discussion in various SOTA forums about the challenge of
using UHF and higher frequencies for SOTA.
This has got me thinking about trying the bands above 2 meters for SOTA.
(This is going to weird out Brad WA6MM, who keeps telling me to move to
lower frequencies, AKA the HF bands :-))

Obviously, lots of people have gear for 440 MHz, so that one is "easy",
in terms of equipment.
Do any of you have gear for 1.2 GHz? Like one of those Alinco HTs?
Perhaps we can play around with that band this summer.

73, Bob

Jeff <jeff@...>

Not many seem to try 440, but last 14er event did have a 10 Ghz contact or two.

On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:53 AM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

I've seen some discussion in various SOTA forums about the challenge of
using UHF and higher frequencies for SOTA.
This has got me thinking about trying the bands above 2 meters for SOTA.
(This is going to weird out Brad WA6MM, who keeps telling me to move to
lower frequencies, AKA the HF bands :-))

Obviously, lots of people have gear for 440 MHz, so that one is "easy",
in terms of equipment.
Do any of you have gear for 1.2 GHz? Like one of those Alinco HTs?
Perhaps we can play around with that band this summer.

73, Bob

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Bob Witte (K0NR)" <@K0NR>
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Bob K0NR

Really, who was on 10 GHz?

Posted by: Jeff <Jeff@...>
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Bob K0NR

A couple of options for 1.2 GHz:
Alinco HT: https://www.gigaparts.com/alinco-dj-g7t.html

Transverter (to get all modes): http://www.sg-lab.com/TR1300/tr1300.html

Yes, the antennas get smaller so more gain in a shorter boom length.

Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 03/17/2017 07:53 AM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] wrote:

I've seen some discussion in various SOTA forums about the challenge of
using UHF and higher frequencies for SOTA.
This has got me thinking about trying the bands above 2 meters for SOTA.
(This is going to weird out Brad WA6MM, who keeps telling me to move to
lower frequencies, AKA the HF bands :-))

Obviously, lots of people have gear for 440 MHz, so that one is "easy",
in terms of equipment.
Do any of you have gear for 1.2 GHz? Like one of those Alinco HTs?
Perhaps we can play around with that band this summer.

73, Bob

Jeff <jeff@...>

Skyler Fennell KDØWHB

73 de NØXDW

Not many seem to try 440, but last 14er event did have a 10 Ghz contact or
two.

Brad - WA6MM

Darn...my new Kx2 doesn't go higher than 10M!!  I'm keeping my Ft-817 though so I can work K0NR on 2m SSB ;-).

Brad

I can't believe that Elecraft left 1.2 GHz out of the KX2. What were they thinking?

On 19-Mar-17 2:10 PM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] wrote:

Darn...my new Kx2 doesn't go higher than 10M!! I'm keeping my Ft-817 though so I can work K0NR on 2m SSB ;-).

Brad
WA6MM

kb7asm2000

Bob

What are you going to be using equipment wise for 23cm? FM?

Also do you have a peak or area in mind and what sort of distance/range would you anticipate at 23cm

I have been looking at your equipment suggestions

Glen

On 03/17/2017 05:58 PM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er] wrote:

A couple of options for 1.2 GHz:
Alinco HT: https://www.gigaparts.com/alinco-dj-g7t.html

Transverter (to get all modes): http://www.sg-lab.com/TR1300/tr1300.html

Yes, the antennas get smaller so more gain in a shorter boom length.

Bob

On 17-Mar-17 12:11 PM, Glen Noble we7c@... [ham14er] wrote:

> Sounds like a great idea. I don't currently have any 1.2G gear but a
> HT or similar may be in my future. Seems like a compact antenna could
> get you a lot of gain.
>
> I really do plan to get up at least a SOTA or 14er this year.
>
> Glen
>
> WE7C
>

> On 03/17/2017 07:53 AM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' bob@... [ham14er] wrote:
>>
>> I've seen some discussion in various SOTA forums about the challenge of
>> using UHF and higher frequencies for SOTA.
>> This has got me thinking about trying the bands above 2 meters for SOTA.
>> (This is going to weird out Brad WA6MM, who keeps telling me to move to
>> lower frequencies, AKA the HF bands :-))
>>
>> Obviously, lots of people have gear for 440 MHz, so that one is "easy",
>> in terms of equipment.
>> Do any of you have gear for 1.2 GHz? Like one of those Alinco HTs?
>> Perhaps we can play around with that band this summer.
>>
>> 73, Bob
>>
>> --
>> Bob Witte / K0NR / bob@... / www.k0nr.com

Bob K0NR

Glen,
I bought two of the Alinco DJ-G7 FM handheld radios (triband: 2m, 70cm, 23cm),
along with a Comet 16-el yagi antenna
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-001479
The antenna is about 4 feet long, so kind of packable but watch out for low hanging branches.

I am not really sure what to expect with range. Joyce and I have made some short range contacts with the supplied duck antennas.
I've been looking for some of the serious VHF/UHF guys to get on when I am on a summit but that has not worked out yet.

73, Bob