Topics

How cold???

HON Chu

Hi BOB K0NR and everybody:
How cold it was at the peak? 14000+ should be very cold; I
think. Do you need any snow gear like rope, axes and so on??? On the
contest days, I hike up to a small mountain which is only 5000+ feet
in Southern California. In Los Angeles area, Mt Baldy is highest.
It is about 10000+ feet above sea level. It covers with snow now. I
can not hike on snow. I don't have a snow shoes. I am planning to
meet you all in August 14er contest. May be set the goal for that 10
peak award, ha, ha. KQ6ee is coming to town. 73

Hon Chu kq6ee

K. Mark Caviezel

Hon:
14er weather can be variable, but usually not horrific
in August.
Many of the Colorado 14ers are non-technical walk ups,
so you wont need rope, ice axes, etc.
For the fourteeners event in 2002, I operated from the
summit of Torrey's Peak weather was probably mid 60's,
5 to 15 mph, so it was real enjoyable. But, you'd be
well advised to be ready for wind chill down below
freezing as 'you conditions may vary'. Don't forget
the sunblock. You can get really fried from UV at
that altitude. There are tons of hiking reports
posted on the web for many of the different summits.
Pick one that you like, and we'll see you on the air
in August!

- KMC kc0jhq

--- Hon Chu <kq6ee55@...> wrote:

Hi BOB K0NR and everybody:
How cold it was at the peak? 14000+ should be
very cold; I
think. Do you need any snow gear like rope, axes
and so on??? On the
contest days, I hike up to a small mountain which is
only 5000+ feet
in Southern California. In Los Angeles area, Mt
Baldy is highest.
It is about 10000+ feet above sea level. It covers
with snow now. I
can not hike on snow. I don't have a snow shoes. I
am planning to
meet you all in August 14er contest. May be set the
goal for that 10
peak award, ha, ha. KQ6ee is coming to town. 73

Hon Chu kq6ee

Bob Witte K0NR <k0nr-list@...>

Hi Hon Chu,

I was only at about 9000 feet, so it wasn't that cold (at least until
the sun disappeared)...maybe 40 to 45 deg F. Joe will have to tell us
what it was like at 14,000 feet.

I just noticed that you also operated during the January contest from
Mt. Lowe (on the ARRL web site). URL is
http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/index.html?con_id=64&call=kq6ee

Keep the CQ Worldwide VHF contest (July) in mind as they are going to
push the "hilltopper" category this year, which is roughly QRP
operation for 6 hours or less. This is perfect for QRP backpack
portable operation. That contest is 2M and 6M only, so you can focus
on the most popular two vhf bands.