From: "Michael Fitzgeralds" <fatfitz@...>
To: <info@...>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 3:01 PM
Subject: How many of us?

Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to know what the last count was and who's doing what.

My wife and I have been practicing and planning for the big event and
hopefully are ready. I have 2- 2m HT 's and a roll-up J pole on a 10
feet pole. I am more concerned with just making it to the top than how
much equipment I can haul up.

We plan on heading up the mountain (Huron Peak ) at daybreak and will
arrive sometime at the summit around 10 to noon. I will have on the tiny
.5 watt ht on the trip up.

If someone comes up with a final count of who's doing what, that would
be nice.

Sincerly;

Michael Fitzgeralds
KC0BPX

Andy Goris <andygoris@...>

I plan to climb - possibly elbert, or princeton, havard, or yale... I
haven't decided yet.
-Andy

Bob Witte K0NR wrote:

Michael,
Perhaps you meant to sent this to the yahoo groups list? I will copy it on my reply.
The best information on who's going where is on the yahoo groups site at:

Right now, the number of people visibly planning to participate is on the low side
(judging from past years). On the other hand, it is somewhat difficult to predict as
people decide to go at the last minute (with no notice to the group) or they
cancel unexpectedly. Such is the nature of the event.

During a typical year, about 18 to 20 peaks are active.

Jeff <n0xdw@...>

Bob Witte KNR wrote:

Right now, the number of people visibly planning to participate is on the low side
(judging from past years). On the other hand, it is somewhat difficult to predict as
people decide to go at the last minute (with no notice to the group) or they
cancel unexpectedly. Such is the nature of the event.

During a typical year, about 18 to 20 peaks are active.

Question:

It looks like the last part of the climb to the top of Long's Peak will be unavailable
to us mere mortals, or at least without proper equipment and training. Due to snow it is
considered a "technical climb", I.E. only try it if you have crampons and an ice pick
and know how to use them.

We have reserved a 3 day back country permit for the boulder field sites on the 8th,
9th, and 10th. But we do not have the specialized mountaineering equipment that will
probably be necessary to go to the top. What do you suggest:

1) Go any way and just go as high as possible.

2) try for Mount Bross, Democrat, or Lincoln?

3) another mountain that a person can camp near the top and climb the rest of the way on
Sunday.

Dan Hupp <dhupp4@...>

Hi Jeff,

I think Bob is still looking for somebody to go up Pikes but there is no
place to camp. Elbert might be a good alternate. You should still call
RMNP as Longs might not still be technical 2 weeks from now, might be a
muddy, slick mess though somewhat like breaking through on the road up Bross
is. You and Ron have been planning for Longs so you will probably kick
yourselves if you don't try again and just think now you can spend this
winter learning crampons & ice axe so you are ready for anything next year
:-)

N0TZL Dan

[...]

There is still 2 weeks for the snow to finish melting off the Keyhole
route - how much is still in the trough? It's been hot as all get-out
here in Ft. Collins. Does anyone that's been on the keyhole route know
how much snow is left to melt?
-Andy

Jeff wrote:

Bob Witte K├śNR wrote:

[...]

Phil Krichbaum <pfkski@...>

I doubt the crampons or ice axe will be advised come Aug 10 as it has been
very warm. Hopefully the report from the climbers going there this weekend
will help. I suspose you could call a climbing store in Estes Park or maybe
Boulder that would be more helpful than the Park Service. The Park service
is probably worried about you sueing them so are on the conservatative side.
Holy Cross is a nice overnight camping trip. You go over half moon pass and
camp out near a stream and old mining cabin. It is not far from there to
hike up to Lake Patricia for some fishing.
73 Phil N0KE (Vail)