Topics

June VHF Contest - Great time for mountaintop operation

Bob K0NR

I want to call your attention to the ARRL June VHF Contest coming up on June 10-11th.

This is a unique opportunity to do a SOTA activation combined with some VHF contesting.
In particular, 6 meter conditions are usually pretty good (at least some time) during the June contest.
That is, you can work many parts of North America on 6m via sporadic-e propagation.

For an example of combining SOTA with a VHF contest, see http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2016/01/31/janvhfplussota/
This was a modest effort because it was in January and it gets cold out there! June should be much better.

Here's a quick intro to working a VHF contest:
http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/my-articles/how-to-work-a-vhf-contest/

73, Bob

Brian KD0IHC sent me a note with a good reminder.
There's still plenty of snow in the high country so choose wisely on the summit (or be prepared with snowshoes, microspikes, etc.)
There are plenty of lower summits that will be free of snow (Mt Herman, for example).

73, Bob K0NR

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 02-Jun-17 9:11 PM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] wrote:
I want to call your attention to the ARRL June VHF Contest coming up on
June 10-11th.

This is a unique opportunity to do a SOTA activation combined with some
VHF contesting.
In particular, 6 meter conditions are usually pretty good (at least some
time) during the June contest.
That is, you can work many parts of North America on 6m via sporadic-e
propagation.

For an example of combining SOTA with a VHF contest, see
http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2016/01/31/janvhfplussota/
This was a modest effort because it was in January and it gets cold out
there! June should be much better.

Here's a quick intro to working a VHF contest:
http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/my-articles/how-to-work-a-vhf-contest/

73, Bob

Bob K0NR

And here is an example:

Two climbers rescued after all-night mission on Quandary Peak Monday

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/two-climbers-rescued-after-all-night-mission-on-quandary-peak-in-summit-county/

On 03-Jun-17 9:34 AM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] wrote:
[...]

Posted by: "Bob Witte (K0NR)" <@K0NR>

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!

Yahoo Groups Links

Brad - WA6MM

Hi Bob (K0NR),
Thanks for posted your messages. Yeah, I can attest to the snow conditions up high as I abandoned a climb last weekend due to the shear effort of climbing wet heavy unstable snow up above 12K feet.  Of course I'm getting old so you need to take that into account! ;-).

Mark (N0MTN) heard the rescue helicopter over on Quandary Peak when he was climbing and activating Mt Silverheals.