Topics

KI6YMZ Trip Report - Crestone Peak and Humboldt Peak

David Stillman

Hi all,

I made it up Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle and Humboldt Peak this weekend! I wasn't as fastidious about noting which peak folks were on, so forgive me for any missing data. My log from Crestone Peak is borderline illegible given that my hands were shaking from the cold.

I wrote the trip up along with a bunch of photos from the weekend, check it out here:

And the logs:

Crestone Peak Activator Log - W0C-LG001 - KI6YMZ - 08/06
Time Call Band Mode Notes
03:30z K0JQZ 144MHz FM
03:33z W0BV 144MHz FM
03:35z N0LNE 144MHz FM Scott
03:37z K3ILC 144MHz FM PR-089
03:39z WA6MM 144MHz FM SR-004
04:00z AF5KS 144MHz FM
04:05z WA6TTY 144MHz FM Woodland Park
04:30z K0NR 144MHz FM Bob
04:35z N0LP 144MHz FM

Humboldt Peak Activator Log W0C-SC-001 - KI6YMZ - 08/07
Time Call Band Mode Notes
03:30z KT0AM 144MHz FM Mt. Huron
03:38z KD5ZZK 144MHz FM
03:40z K0MGL 144MHz FM Greg, Teller County
03:45z N0XDW 144MHz FM
03:55z KD0WHB 144MHz FM Mt. Evans
04:00z K9DBX 144MHz FM Mike Mt. Evans
04:02z N0MTN 144MHz FM Mark, Mt. Bierstadt
04:15z N4MMI 144MHz FM SR-003
04:17z K0NR 144MHz FM SP-058

It's worth noting that Crestone Needle is not a SOTA peak due to lack of prominence from its neighbor, Crestone Peak. It has 436 feet, versus the required ~492 (150m).

73s and thanks for a great weekend!

--
David Stillman
KI6YMZ

Curtis Hays II

Great report!

What are bail slings?

Curtis
KC5CW

6+

On Aug 8, 2016, at 4:38 PM, David Stillman me@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Curtis!

Bail slings are lengths of cord or webbing that folks wrap around a rock or tree then clip a carabiner to. You can feed rope through the carabiner to rappel safely down a (usually quite vertical!) length of terrain and pull your rope at the bottom so you keep it. Once you're down there's no way to retrieve the sling and carabiner again, so it becomes your gift to the mountain, and is usually kept in place in case another party finds themselves in a similar situation.

Hope that helps!

--
David Stillman
KI6YMZ

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Curtis Hays II kb0odl@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Brad - WA6MM

Hi David (KI6YMZ),
I was great to make a 14er S2S with you last Saturday.  I could tell you were as cold as I was!!   Nice job getting Crestone Peak activated. We had the same attitude as you after driving 3 hours to the trailhead and camp Friday.  We didn't want to bail until it was obvious we had to!!  It all worked out in the end.

Keep up the good work my friend....there are lot's of hard peaks waiting for your first activation.  You need to start working HF so the rest of the chasers out there can work you!!

Oh, yeah, I missed the fact that this is the first activation of Crestone Peak. Nice!

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 8/8/2016 4:41 PM, wa6mm@... [ham14er] wrote:

Hi David (KI6YMZ),
I was great to make a 14er S2S with you last Saturday. I could tell you were as cold as I was!! Nice job getting Crestone Peak activated. We had the same attitude as you after driving 3 hours to the trailhead and camp Friday. We didn't want to bail until it was obvious we had to!! It all worked out in the end.

Keep up the good work my friend....there are lot's of hard peaks waiting for your first activation. You need to start working HF so the rest of the chasers out there can work you!!

Curtis Hays II

So you're saying you hiked down something so steep that some people rope down?  and it was raining?

Wow... you get one bear tooth added to your man card.

Curtis