Topics

Kit Carson - Report

Joe Burleson <ab0yc@...>

In case any one is interested.

Hiked in to Willow lake on Sunday with snow shoes and set up camp at
11,300. It snowed about 6" Sunday night. On monday we set out and
climbed Challenger Point first an unofficial 14ner at 14,080.
Conditions were pretty nasty on the summit and we wanted to press on
so I made no call from here. We reached the saddle between the two
peaks and started traversing the ledge system (Kit Carson Ave; see
Lou Dawsons book volume 2; route 2.1.15) that takes you from the west
side of Kit Carson to the SE gully which is the normal route to the
summit. The ledges are covered with snow and are more of a snow field
at this time of year. I wallowed in waist deep snow(+) for about a
third of the way around the peak when I touched off a small avalanche
which ran immediately in front of me. I took this as a warning and
decided maybe we should come back another time. We hiked out on
Tuesday and drove home.

Art - you live on Lookout Mt? Me too. Do you have the Subaru (I
think) with your call on the tags?

Joe Burleson
ab0yc

Bob Witte <k0nr-list@...>

Joe,
Thanks for the report.
I listened on Monday and Tuesday on 146.52 MHz but didn't hear anything.

Bob K0NR

[...]

bob@...

kc7gf@...

Yeah, Joe, over near the old "Lighted Lantern" in the underground house off
Lookout Mtn. road with the towers behind it.

Couldn't you think of something better to do than wallowing in waist deep
snow?
Used to do that in my younger years as a TV engineer in Idaho but now too
"rotund", would have to roll around instead.

You probably have seen my wife's gold Subaru Forrester with her call plates
(N7AYR) on it, my car is a Toyota pickup with my call plates on it.

See you sometime, Art - KC7GF, Golden, CO Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!