Topics

Longs Peak Attempt 7-4

k0cao

My friend Tom and I attempted Longs peak on 7-4-04. We where able
to easily make it to the keyhole but decided not to attempt the
summit due the large amounts of snow and ice in the Trough. We took
the standard Keyhole route and started at the Longs Peak Ranger
Station Trail Head. The hike was great and the approach to the peak
was magnificent.

I posted a few pics here:

http://www.qsl.net/k0cao/longs.html

If you are planning on climbing Longs in the next few weeks I would
advise on taking an Ice axe and crampons. The western couloir
looked pretty extreme and was packed with ice and snow. One slip
and you would be a human bobsled for 2,000 feet strait down.