From: Jeff [mailto:n0xdw@p...]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 9:53 PM
To: ham14er@...
Subject: Re: [ham14er] Re: How many of us?

Bob Witte K├śNR wrote:

Right now, the number of people visibly planning to participate
is on the
low side
(judging from past years). On the other hand, it is somewhat
difficult to
predict as
people decide to go at the last minute (with no notice to the
group) or
they
cancel unexpectedly. Such is the nature of the event.

During a typical year, about 18 to 20 peaks are active.

Question:

It looks like the last part of the climb to the top of Long's Peak
will be
unavailable
to us mere mortals, or at least without proper equipment and
training. Due
to snow it is
considered a "technical climb", I.E. only try it if you have
crampons and an
ice pick
and know how to use them.

We have reserved a 3 day back country permit for the boulder field
sites on
the 8th,
9th, and 10th. But we do not have the specialized mountaineering
equipment
that will
probably be necessary to go to the top. What do you suggest:

1) Go any way and just go as high as possible.

2) try for Mount Bross, Democrat, or Lincoln?

3) another mountain that a person can camp near the top and climb
the rest
of the way on
Sunday.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Phil Krichbaum <pfkski@...>

Good luck and hope to work you from Mt Bross. I've been to the summit of
Longs twice when they still had the fixed steel cables up the north side.
The purists had their influence and the USPS removed them so now the non
technical people have to take the much longer route via the keyhole. There
were two steel cables of maybe 50 feet that you could use to pull yourself
up a 50% grade. The rest was just scrambeling over boulders.
73 Phil N0KE