Topics

Looking for a partner

k3og

HI all.

I'm certainly looking forward to this year's 14er radio event, only a
month away. Looks like this year's turn out may be a little light.

A month ago I was planning a solo hike up one of the more remote
peaks (like Uncompahgre or Wilson) for the event. With 14 of my 15
14er summits being solo efforts, I didn't think this too
unreasonable. Unfortunately, I had a bike racing accident that
caused a head injury and 3 day hospital stay 3 weeks ago that changed
that.

I'm almost fully recovered now but my wife isn't. As a result, she's
pleaded with me not to climb solo this year. I'm hoping to be able
to agree, yet I'd still like to hike up a 14er for the radio event
this year.

I'm posting this message to see if anyone is interested in partnering
with me for a 14er climb. Could be a get up early and climb in one
day affair or a two-day trip with an overnight near the climb. I live
in Lafayette (Boulder County) and would leave from here but could
pick someone up along the way. I'll have an HT with a 3 element tape
measure beam and perhaps other equipment too, I'm quite capable of
climbing virtually any of the 14ers and would be most interested in
Mt. of the Holy Cross, but I'm open to other suggestions. I may get
a non-ham friend of mine to join me, but I think it'd be more fun
with another ham along to enjoy the event.

So, if anyone in the group is interested let me know via email
(K3og@...). Also feel free to pass this along to
anyone else you know who might be interested.

Hope ya'll are having a good summer and hope to hear you on the 10th.

Pete, K3OG

Jeff <n0xdw@...>

k3og wrote:

HI all.

I'm certainly looking forward to this year's 14er radio event, only a
month away. Looks like this year's turn out may be a little light.

I'm almost fully recovered now but my wife isn't. As a result, she's
pleaded with me not to climb solo this year. I'm hoping to be able
to agree, yet I'd still like to hike up a 14er for the radio event
this year.
Have you considered one of the Drive ups? Perhaps if your wife is up to going
the ride maybe you could drive up Mt Bross and cross over to Democrat?

I am planning on trying for Longs Peak, we have a reserve for a 3 day camping
pass for the weekend. I do recommend an overnighter at some elevation if not
well acclimated. really important for those of us who start out at less than
4,000 feet.
73 and good luck.
NXDW

Phil Krichbaum <pfkski@...>

I don't recall Holy Cross being active ever in the 14er. It would porbably
require an overnighter to get to the summit before the event is over. I live
nearby in Vail but am recovering from knee surgery and not up for it at this
time and will probably do one of the drive up ones.
Phil N0KE

[...]

Bob Witte K0NR <k0nr-list@...>

Hi Phil,
Actually Holy Cross has been activated during the event but it has been
quite a while....back before we kept very good records. People do summit
Holy Cross in one day but probably not after knee surgery :-)

At the moment, there is no one planning on being on Bross.

Bob K0NR

[...]

Andy Goris <andygoris@...>

Phil,
I was active on Holy Cross many years ago during the 14er event - had an interesting lightning experience while taking down my portable beam in preparation for descent.
-Andy Goris
AA0CM

Phil Krichbaum wrote:

[...]

Andy,
Now that you mention it I think I worked you up there. I've only been to
the summit once and it was many years ago. We camped at the old cabin by the
stream and did the summit early the next morning. People do it in one day
but you need to be on the trail at first light or in the dark. One of my
friends took a driver along and hit a couple of golf balls off the east face
and claims he has the longest drive in the county at over 1/2 mile. I'm sure
USFS would not approve. I did hear of someone getting in trouble doing that.
73 Phil N0KE