Topics

Mapping out the 14ers

Dan Huber

G'day All,

Since I have Pikes Peak out my back window I think I'm going to jump into the fun and try to activate it on Saturday the 3rd.   And I've never been one to take the 'easy route' so we will be hiking up from the Crags trail rather than driving up the highway.   We should be on the air between 9 and 10am and this will be my first 14er SOTA activation.

Also, while looking at the list of entries for activations in our database I got to wondering where those peaks were that folks had selected and where all the other 14ers where.    So I started noodling with the list of W0C SOTA summits downloaded from the SOTA Maps web site and I came up with a list of 47 peaks that have summit designations and are over 14,000'.   I then took that list and dumped it into an online mapping service and created the following web app.

https://locinn.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=945ec5143f914c59b8923d1716133021

It's just a simple view of the summits that you can pan, zoom, or select to view a pop-up, as well as the ability to do a search for either a summit name or designator that will zoom to the peak.   There is also a table view that will let you view all the summits sorted by highest to lowest, that will also filter down based on the extent of the map.

I hope someone can find some use for this, and let me know if there should be something else on the app.   If I was really motivated, I could try to link it to our database and have it show the summits folks have listed.

Anyway - hope to hear you all on the air on Saturday - should be an exciting time.

73 de KN0MAP  Dan

Brad - WA6MM

Nice map Dan!  That will be useful for those who want to quickly figure out which 14er to activate including the pertinent info.

Good luck climbing Pikes via the Crags route.  I went up that route when I activated Pikes as well.  It is certainly a long hike with lots of vertical gain!  Will you be doing VHF and HF?

Dan Huber

Thanks Brad,

Felt that this map would be easier to use for those of us that are new to chasing SOTA 14ers than SOTA Maps.

I’ve hiked up Pikes Peak via the Crags trail before so I know what’s in front of us.  I will be using an IC-706 MKIIG so will try to do both VHF and HF.   20 and 40m SSB (Voice) as I’m not yet CW capable.   Plan to switch between the modes for a few hours to catch as many S2S as possible.

Dan, KN0MAP

On Jul 19, 2019, at 6:37 AM, Brad - WA6MM <wa6mm@...> wrote:

Nice map Dan!  That will be useful for those who want to quickly figure out which 14er to activate including the pertinent info.

Good luck climbing Pikes via the Crags route.  I went up that route when I activated Pikes as well.  It is certainly a long hike with lots of vertical gain!  Will you be doing VHF and HF?

Dan,

This map is really cool. Thanks for doing that!

Just as a reminder for everyone, not all of the "usual 54" 14ers are SOTA summits because they don't meet the 150 meter/492 feet prominence requirement. See https://sites.google.com/site/ham14er/summits-on-the-air-sota
That page says there are eight 14ers that don't meet the SOTA requirements, which leaves 54 - 8 = 46. (Dan, I think you actually have 46 summits on your map, not 47.)

There are a few other data collections on the groups.io site in the files section (https://ham14er.groups.io/g/main/files/ ):

14erdata.xls is a file that Alan Silverstein, NØMFW, put together that provides distance and bearing between all of the 14ers.

Sota14ersColorado.gpx is a file of GPS coordinates for the 14ers that at also SOTA summits (by Brian Bibeau, N0BCB).

73 Bob

On 18-Jul-19 8:56 PM, Dan Huber wrote:

[...]

Sorry about that - you are correct Bob, there are 46 summits in my dataset.    I made the mistake of looking at the row count and not taking the column names into consideration.

73 de KN0MAP Dan

On Jul 19, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Bob K0NR <bob@...> wrote:

Just as a reminder for everyone, not all of the "usual 54" 14ers are SOTA summits because they don't meet the 150 meter/492 feet prominence requirement. See https://sites.google.com/site/ham14er/summits-on-the-air-sota
That page says there are eight 14ers that don't meet the SOTA requirements, which leaves 54 - 8 = 46. (Dan, I think you actually have 46 summits on your map, not 47.)

Brian

Great service Dan, nice display.

Regards,

N6IZ Brian