Topics

Missouri Mountain W0C/SP-003 Saturday August 5th 2017

Mark Molberg

I intended to climb 14ers both Saturday and Sunday. I climbed Missouri on Saturday and on the way down my knees were hurting. I figured I'd be too sore for another summit. I had a friend ask me earlier in the week if I was able to help with radio communications for a race in Leadville. So on Sunday I worked checkpoint 5 of the burro race for Leadville Boom Days. I drove my Rav4 up some 4wd roads to a saddle between Ball Mountain and East Ball Mountain where I directed racers to turn off the road onto a single track. This is a point that racers not familiar with the course will miss and will take off in the wrong direction. I called in checkpoint times for 39 racers. I enjoy working events and will be playing radio for the Golden Gran Fondo https://www.granfondonationalchampionshipseries.com/golden-gran-fondo/

But, back to SOTA.

Saturday morning I started hiking at 5:30 AM. There were a number of hikers around me. Most of the hikers near me headed off towards Mount Belford. I thought there would be more Missouri hikers than I saw. As I got closer to Missouri I saw several dozen hikers on the route ahead of and above me. I think the Missouri Hikers were getting an earlier start than the Belford hikers. I reached the summit of Missouri at 10:30 and set up a Elk yagi and made 8 contacts on VHF. I must have written down something wrong but I wrote down K0GNR as one of my contacts. I omitted that one from my activation as I dont see any other ref to this call sign. I made 8 quick VHF contacts, seven S2S. I started setting up my HWEF wire but decided I had enough already and headed down. I have always had a little problem with altitude and had quite a headache on the trip down. I met up with WA6MM at the Twin Peaks Campground by Twin Lakes to camp for the night. I left for Leadville early the next morning.

16:47zKX0R144MHzFMS2S W0C/SP-062 - Topaz Mountain
16:48zWA6MM144MHzFMS2S W0C/SP-001 - La Plata Peak 14er Event
16:50zK0NR144MHzFMS2S W0C/SR-010 - Huron Peak 14er Event
16:52zNS0TA144MHzFMS2S W0C/FR-004 - Pikes Peak 14er Event
16:55zN0TA144MHzFMS2S W0C/SP-062 - Topaz Mountain
16:56zKC0YQN144MHzFMS2S W0C/FR-002 - Grays Peak 14er Event
16:58zKI6YMZ144MHzFMS2S W0C/SR-062 Pyramid Peak 14er Event
17:06zN0ZPX144MHzFMMobile station

I think next year I will climb Saturday and work the race Sunday. It made a great radio weekend.

73,

Mark

N0MTN

Brad - WA6MM

..... I must have written down something wrong but I wrote down K0GNR as one of my contacts. I omitted that one from my activation as I dont see any other ref to this call sign.....

Hi Mark,
Altitude does funny things to your brain...and the fact you may have to recover for awhile after summitting!!

I noticed if you delete the "G" from K0GNR you'll get the callsign from our famous VHF/UHF SOTA activator ;-).

Yeah, several of us were too tired to go for another 14er on Sunday.  It was good seeing you Saturday.  Until the next time....

Mark,
Congrats on the first activation of Missouri Mountain.
It was great to work you from Huron Peak.