From: <n0bn@...>
To: <ham14er@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 10:09 AM
Subject: [ham14er] Mount Elbert Report: N8WE and N0BN

My father Glen N8WE from Ohio and I got to just barely over 13,000 feet on
Mount Elbert but decided it was clouding up and too late to continue
further. Our highest location and the site of my dad's 20 M CW QRP contacts
is documented on map.findu.com/n0bn. Dad contacted Wes K0HBZ in Woodland
Park; Tom W0GG; and one other station.

On 2 M FM, I contacted 11 other 14er stations on Massive, Grays, Quandary,
Evans, Longs, Bross, Pikes, Snowmass, Columbia, Bierstadt and Huron. We
didn't make it to the ridge which would have allowed a western view so made
no contacts in that direction.

I also contacted several other lower fixed stations including Wes K0HBZ in
Woodland Park, George K0EZX in Jefferson and Tom W0GG in Florissant.

We had a great time despite not making the high point. That's the highest
my father has ever achieved on foot and was very pleased by the experience
and the view.

I would suggest assigning particular frequencies to particular mountains
even if on a shared basis so everyone has some idea where the others may be
operating. It was not a big problem but I think I interfered to some
extent with others at times and others sometimes interfered with me. And I
don't think the 15 kc separation is sufficient: 20 would be fine.

We have tried a number of approaches to frequency assignment and have
settled in on the "start at calling frequency and then QSY up". All of
these approaches have advantages and disadvantages and none are perfect.

With regard to the 15 kHz channel spacing, we are following the
Colorado 2M band plan. You are correct that 15 kHz really is insufficient,
so it will often be necessary to move on up another 15 kHz.
(More info on the Colorado 2M band plan on my web site
at http://www.rwitte.com/2m_frequencies.html)

n0bn@...

Thanks for the comment, Bob. I was aware of the band plan: maybe it works better for repeaters with all their filters, separation etc.

I've been teasing/joking/cajoling with my Dad about starting to train early for next year's event and he told me this morning he's been enjoying telling his friends about his epic Assault on Elbert and he liked my idea about camping the night before!

Camping on Elbert just below tree line would allow us to walk about two miles at our leisure on Saturday, rest overnight and then get to the top both earlier and with significantly less mileage on the old legs (his and mine)!

By the way and for the record, my Dad's third CW contact on 20 M was with Bruce WA9APQ who was in Leadville running the ham communications for the Bike 100. I helped Bruce with the Trail 100 radio work this past weekend so now have been in Leadville the last 4 weekends! I'm going back over Labor Day I hope to do some more of the Colorado Trail over there.

73,

Daniel N0BN