Topics

Preliminary Results for 2003 Colorado 14er Event

Bob Witte K0NR <k0nr-list@...>

I've made a draft of the results for the 2003 14er event.
Please consider this preliminary and give me any feedback,
especially with regard to the list of mountains activated
(and operator callsigns/names).

73,

Bob

Bob Witte K0NR
(formerly KB0CY)
k0nr@...
DXCC WAS VUCC
http://www.rwitte.com

---------------------
2003 Colorado 14er Event Results
Preliminary - August 18, 2003

During the 2003 (13th Annual) Colorado 14er Event, 14
"official" 14er peaks were active on the ham bands. I have
included Elbert in this total even though operation was
not from the summit.

ACTIVITY DURING THE EVENT

From various peaks, activity occurred on these bands using a
variety of modes (CW, SSB, FM):
HF, 50 MHz, 144 MHz, 222 MHz, 430/440 MHz

Generally, there seemed to be increased interest in operating
hf and other bands/modes from the hike-in mountains. Most of the
contacts were on 2M FM, due to the popularity of that
band/mode and the compact, lightweight nature of the equipment.
While the event will tend to remain centered on VHF FM due to the
need to climb most of the 14ers, we encourage everyone to experiment
with different bands and modes as they see fit.

For the first time during the event, we had some 6M e-skip propagation.
Openings occurred to W8, W9 and eastern W0 call areas. N0KE on Bross
worked XE2MX in grid DM11, Mexico, which is the first VHF DX contact
for the event.

Mountains Activated This Year

Summit Call (Name)
-------- --------------
Bierstadt KC0EFR (Mike), KC0INX (Kristin), KC0MOM (Carol)
Bross N0KE (Phil), K0BHM (Christine), W0TM (Gary)
Columbia WE7C (Glen),
Evans N7AYR (Kathy), KG0SH (Bruce), KC7GF (Glen)
Grays K3OG (Peter),
Handies KC0CAV (Eric), KC0CEN (Daniel)
Huron KC0BPX (Mike),
Longs N0XDW (Jeff),
Massive AA0CM (Andy), AB0YC (Joe)
Pikes KC0OTR (Elizabeth), KB0G (Bdale)
Quandary KC0ADT (Greg),
Snowmass AC7SX (Joe)
Wilson KC0JCY (Kate), KB0SNI (Henry)

Did not quite make the summit:
Elbert N0BN (Daniel), N8WE (Glen)

COLORADO 14er AWARDS

Two new awards are now available for radio contacts to and from the
14,000-foot mountains of Colorado. The SUMMIT AWARD is earned by making
contact with 10 or more of the 14er mountains. The PINNACLE AWARD
recognizes operation from 14er summits, requiring radio operation from 5
or more summits. Award recipients will receive an attractive, colorful
certificate with name, call sign and the number of peaks worked or
activated on it.

To apply for these awards, review the details of the award rules and
download the application form at the Colorado 14er Event web site
(http://www.Colorado14erEvent.org). A $5 fee covers the cost of the
certificate and associated expenses. Questions should be directed to the
awards manager, Paul Ermisch KB0LUR (email:
awards@...)

PREVIOUS YEARS RESULTS

The record for best DX between 14er stations is 188 miles, set
in 1995 during a QSO between Andy AA0CM on Longs Peak and
Jan W3GEY on Sunshine Peak. No new record was recorded this year,
so the record still stands.

Year Peaks Active
2003 14
2002 12
2001 15
2000 18
1999 20
1998 17
1997 20
1996 17
1995 20
1994 16
1993 19

Thanks to everyone that came out and activated the mountaintops.
As usual, we had a good mix of returning 14er event veterans
and new participants. I hope you had a fun, safe experience.
Also, thanks goes to all of the operators that took the time
to work the mountaintop stations from down below.

73,
The 14er Event Task Force
info@...

Colorado 14er Event website: <http://www.Colorado14erEvent.org>

Yahoo Groups website for email list and file sharing:

Bdale Garbee

"Bob Witte K0NR" <k0nr-list@...> writes:

I've made a draft of the results for the 2003 14er event.
Looks ok here.

I've typed up a few notes from our visit to Pikes Peak, we're just
about done typing in the log from Elizabeth's hand-written version, and she
just got her pictures back from being developed. Hopefully I'll be ready to
post a report to our web server by tomorrow night...

73 - Bdale, KB0G

Paul Rixon <rixon31337@...>

<SNIP>
PREVIOUS YEARS RESULTS

The record for best DX between 14er stations is 188 miles, set
in 1995 during a QSO between Andy AA0CM on Longs Peak and
Jan W3GEY on Sunshine Peak. No new record was recorded this year,
so the record still stands.
<SNIP>

Has anyone yet established the longest peak to peak contact this year? I think it would be good to mention it here.

I'm really bummed about not getting to go this year. Next year for sure, though!

73,

DE Paul K0DEZ in Kansas City

Phil Krichbaum <pfkski@...>

To break the peak to peak record would most likely require Longs on one end
(the most northern 14er) and a peak in the San Juans on the other end. I
assume Sunshine is down there somewhere. Cueblra or Lindsey would also work
down on the south end. Lindsey would probably just barely break the record.
At least a small yagi on each end would probably be required. A FT817 or
equivalant on each end would also help for CW or SSB.
73 Phil N0KE

The record for best DX between 14er stations is 188 miles, set
in 1995 during a QSO between Andy AA0CM on Longs Peak and
Jan W3GEY on Sunshine Peak. No new record was recorded this year,
so the record still stands.
<SNIP>

Has anyone yet established the longest peak to peak contact this year? I
think it would be good to mention it here.

I'm really bummed about not getting to go this year. Next year for sure,
though!

73,

DE Paul K0DEZ in Kansas City

Paul Rixon <rixon31337@...>

Oh, I think there was some confusion with my question. I was just wondering which peak-to-peak contact made this year was the most distant one, and how far short is it of the maximum possible?

I think I remember someone attempting Mt Eolus. I thought it was going to happen this year, but I guess it's good that the challenge it still out there.

-P

The record for best DX between 14er stations is 188 miles, set
in 1995 during a QSO between Andy AA0CM on Longs Peak and
Jan W3GEY on Sunshine Peak. No new record was recorded this year,
so the record still stands.
<SNIP>

Has anyone yet established the longest peak to peak contact this year? I
think it would be good to mention it here.

I'm really bummed about not getting to go this year. Next year for sure,
though!

73,

DE Paul K0DEZ in Kansas City

Eric Krohn

Yes, Sunshine is in the San Juans. And that is why we have frequented
Handies Peak for the last 4 years. Handies is 190.9 miles from Longs, and
just a tad further than Sunshine. Longs to Culebra is furtherest at 217.7
miles, but Culebra is on private land and people have been unsuccessful at
getting permission. Next furtherest are Mount Eolus and North Eolus at
211.4 and 211.3, resp. The mountain top to mountain top distances are on
the 14er web site somewhere.

--
Eric Krohn
KC0CAV

You write:

[...]

Paul, It would be interesting to know the maximum. I assume you are looking
for the longest line of sight DX from two 14ers. There is some freeware out
there that will show you this if you know the lat and long of both sites and
it will even show obstructions in the path. It is used for checking for
microwave paths. In the real world of 2m you can work a bit farther than the
line of sight distance, particulalry if you use the weak signal modes
instead of FM. I'm sorry I don't know where this is available. I would
expect it could be quite a bit more than the present 188 mile record, maybe
even over 250 or 300 miles.
In the 10 GHz contest I worked from Pikes Peak to just south of the NE
border to W1XE on CW at a distance of 272 Km (170 miles) (DM78lu to DN80gx)I
was about 9,000 feet higher than him and signals were marginal. We were
probably at or near the limit. As you can see the path between two 14ers
would be quite a bit more unless obstructions block the path. There may not
be two 14ers far enough apart to hit the maximum so then it would be a
question of the longest distance between two 14ers. Unfortunately there are
not any 14ers in adjoing states to help us there.
73 Phil N0KE

The record for best DX between 14er stations is 188 miles, set
in 1995 during a QSO between Andy AA0CM on Longs Peak and
Jan W3GEY on Sunshine Peak. No new record was recorded this year,
so the record still stands.
<SNIP>

Has anyone yet established the longest peak to peak contact this year? I
think it would be good to mention it here.

I'm really bummed about not getting to go this year. Next year for sure,
though!

73,

DE Paul K0DEZ in Kansas City

Phil Krichbaum <pfkski@...>

Enough people are trying to bag all 54 14ers that I would think there is
away around this private land problem or they just go anyways.
Phil N0KE

The record for best DX between 14er stations is 188 miles, set
in 1995 during a QSO between Andy AA0CM on Longs Peak and
Jan W3GEY on Sunshine Peak. No new record was recorded this year,
so the record still stands.
<SNIP>

Has anyone yet established the longest peak to peak contact this year? I
think it would be good to mention it here.

I'm really bummed about not getting to go this year. Next year for sure,
though!

73,

DE Paul K0DEZ in Kansas City

Bob Witte <k0nr-list@...>

I think the story is that the ranch that owns the property around Culebra
will let climbers in (with a fee perhaps?) but not all times of the year.
I don't recall the specifics.

Bob

Enough people are trying to bag all 54 14ers that I would think there is
away around this private land problem or they just go anyways.
Phil N0KE

The record for best DX between 14er stations is 188 miles, set
in 1995 during a QSO between Andy AA0CM on Longs Peak and
Jan W3GEY on Sunshine Peak. No new record was recorded this year,
so the record still stands.
<SNIP>

Has anyone yet established the longest peak to peak contact this year?
think it would be good to mention it here.

I'm really bummed about not getting to go this year. Next year for sure,
though!

73,

DE Paul K0DEZ in Kansas City

Bob Witte
k0nr@...
bob@...

Andy Goris <andygoris@...>

The owners of Culebra only let climbers in one day a year, and
typically, climbers must be
with an organized trip from the Colorado Mountain Club, and Culebra has
to be
one of their last 14ers. This year, a friend of mine climbed Culebra, and
I think the CMC required that you have already climbed 53 14ers, with
Culebra
being your last one.

Many climbers have experimented with alternate routes up Culebra, with cars
getting ticketed, and in one case, the climber thrown in jail for
tresspassing.

I'll bet there's a web site or notes group somewhere with a lot more
detail than
this.

For now, if we want to include Culebra in 14er day, we'll need some creative
solution, or, someone will have to call the ranch and see if they'll let
them on.
Occassionally, I've heard the ranch will allow climbers if they're
trying to set
a record. For example, fastest time for all 14ers. I doubt 14er day would
qualify, but it would never hurt to ask, especially if we were trying to
get a
very long distance ham radio record.

-Andy
AA0CM