Topics

Quandary Peak Activation W0C/PR-014, Sunday January 22nd

Mark Molberg

I have tried to activate this 14er the last two Sundays. On the 8th I did not have snowshoes and gave up after an hour of post holing. On the 15th, I hiked for almost 5 hours but being slow, it was noon and I was still a ways from the summit. I turned around at 13,500 ft. One of my snowshoe poles broke on me.

I am trying again tomorrow, Sunday January 22nd. I have been thinking about what gear I was trying to carry that I did not really need. I have better, smaller snowshoes with more teeth to use. Ill get an earlier start.

I am going to try to be on 7-ssb,14.285-ssb,144.200-ssb and 50.125-ssb. I hope to be calling CQ by noon.

Mark
N0MTN

Brad - WA6MM

Hi Mark (N0MTN),
You know what they say...If at first you don't succeed..try try again ;-).  I admire your determination my friend!  Quandary definitely takes a lot of effort in the winter.  I use fairly short MSR mountaineering snowshoes with a heal lift.  They work great for most climbs but nothing works well in deep soft snow!

Good luck tomorrow.  I'll be listening for you.

Mark Molberg

I spent four and a half hours climbing up Quandary, this morning and made the summit a little before noon. I tried setting up my Yaesu 817 but with the high winds, my fingers were so cold that they would not work very well. My hat was riding up off my ears and I got some frostbite on my ear lobes. They thawed out and are a little swollen. I threw my radio gear back in my backpack and headed back down. I’ll post my pictures on n0mtn.com

Mark

N0MTN

I have tried to activate this 14er the last two Sundays. On the 8th I did not have snowshoes and gave up after an hour of post holing. On the 15th, I hiked for almost 5 hours but being slow, it was noon and I was still a ways from the summit. I turned around at 13,500 ft. One of my snowshoe poles broke on me.

I am trying again tomorrow, Sunday January 22nd. I have been thinking about what gear I was trying to carry that I did not really need. I have better, smaller snowshoes with more teeth to use. Ill get an earlier start.

I am going to try to be on 7-ssb,14.285-ssb,144.200-ssb and 50.125-ssb. I hope to be calling CQ by noon.

Mark

N0MTN

Brad - WA6MM

Hi Mark (N0MTN),
Congrats on summitting on your third attempt!  The misery factor is indeed high now and I can relate to the wind and low temps.  It's hard to escape the wind on peaks like Quandary.  Did you try to make some 2M FM contacts? I activated Quandary with my 2M HT before I started using HF.

Mark Molberg

Hi Brad, I got out my 817 and attached the antenna to the front but I was really having a hard time using my fingers. I could not see the radio with my glasses on, and when I took off my glasses, the wind blown snow was painful. I was very nervous about losing gloves and hat in the wind so I gave up. I'll be back on Quandary for another SOTA attempt sometime.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

On Jan 23, 2017 8:06 AM, "wa6mm@... [ham14er]" <ham14er@...> wrote:

Hi Mark (N0MTN),
Congrats on summitting on your third attempt!  The misery factor is indeed high now and I can relate to the wind and low temps.  It's hard to escape the wind on peaks like Quandary.  Did you try to make some 2M FM contacts? I activated Quandary with my 2M HT before I started using HF.

Scott Bastian

Congrats on the summit. Having done 14 of Colorado's Fourteeners I can feel your joy for summiting, and I have had a couple of no activation's for SOTA myself.

I am curios as to what your gear deployment plan was, what antenna and how were you going to set it up?

I use a KX2 and a home brew endfed on a 28' push up fishing pole that collapses to 22" for packing. I have both a 67' and 34' wire to deploy as real-estate permits. The KX2 built in tuner is amazing and I have had a lot of success with this combination.

73 Scott AK6Q
www.gemsproducts.com

Mark Molberg

Good morning Scott,

I was carrying a Yaesu 817 and I had a RadioWavz end fed 20 meter antenna. At the end of the 20 meter wire, I soldered half of a 9 volt battery terminal. I soldered the other half of the battery terminal to another piece of wire so I could clip them together and lengthen my wire to use on 40 meters. I was intending to use my snowshoes and poles to hold the wire off the ground horizontally. If the summit was windswept of snow and the rocks were exposed, I was considering just laying it on the rocks and trying it that way. On another summit this fall, my pole broke and left the wire draped over a rocky summit. The guy I was having a QSO with in NY said my signal improved after that.

I have a Cabela’s Crappie rod that I have been carrying up, though I skipped it this trip. I was really trying to cut down on my weight. The pole sticks out of my pack high enough to be a real pain in the trees.

I am really thinking about building this dipole and trying it,

http://seeksolitude.com/?p=166

I just started in SOTA this summer and this would have been my 13th activation. I am still trying to learn what works for antennas. I am certainly open to suggestions and links to what antennas and poles other activators are using! I am starting to write up my reports at n0mtn.com.

73, Mark

N0MTN