Topics

radio propagation software

K. Mark Caviezel

all:
the radio propagation software is called Radio Mobile,
written by a canadian ham.
punch it into yahoo and it wil take you right there.
I've just recently started dinking with it.
it uses topo data from the shuttle radar topography
mission to calculate 'view sheds'

- KMC kc0jhq

ps, if any Denver area hams are bandwidth limited and
develop and interest in this, I can loan you the SRTM
data.... it fit nicely onto 13 CDROMs. (that's the
whole USA... 20 gigs after they unzip.)

--- Phil Krichbaum <pfkski@...> wrote:

Paul, It would be interesting to know the maximum. I
assume you are looking
for the longest line of sight DX from two 14ers.
There is some freeware out
there that will show you this if you know the lat
and long of both sites and
it will even show obstructions in the path. It is
used for checking for
microwave paths. In the real world of 2m you can
work a bit farther than the
line of sight distance, particulalry if you use the
weak signal modes
instead of FM. I'm sorry I don't know where this is
available. I would
expect it could be quite a bit more than the present
188 mile record, maybe
even over 250 or 300 miles.
In the 10 GHz contest I worked from Pikes Peak to
just south of the NE
border to W1XE on CW at a distance of 272 Km (170
miles) (DM78lu to DN80gx)I
was about 9,000 feet higher than him and signals
were marginal. We were
probably at or near the limit. As you can see the
path between two 14ers
would be quite a bit more unless obstructions block
the path. There may not
be two 14ers far enough apart to hit the maximum so
then it would be a
question of the longest distance between two 14ers.
Unfortunately there are
not any 14ers in adjoing states to help us there.
73 Phil N0KE

From: "Phil Krichbaum" <pfkski@...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 05:31:28 -0600

To break the peak to peak record would most likely
require Longs on one
end
(the most northern 14er) and a peak in the San
Juans on the other end. I
assume Sunshine is down there somewhere. Cueblra or
Lindsey would also work
down on the south end. Lindsey would probably just
barely break the record.
At least a small yagi on each end would probably
be required. A FT817 or
equivalant on each end would also help for CW or
SSB.
73 Phil N0KE