Topics

ride along to Mt. Bross on August 15????? Plan ahead

HON Chu

Hi: Will anybody drive up the Mt. Bross??? Can anybody give me a ride
going up there???Is it a day hike or we have spend over night up
there?? You might think it is too early to plan. I have to plan in
advance because I only have one week to stay. I like to hike as many
peak as I can. Can anybody go hiking with me to Mt Elbert or Mt
Massive between August 13 to August 17. For sure I will drive up to
Pike Peak AND Mt Evans. When I go to Mt Bross, I will hike to Mt
Demcrat and Mt LIncoln, HA,HA. I will bring my digital camera with
me. I will show my family how fund it is in Colorado. I am looking
forward on that week. 73

Hon Chu

K. Mark Caviezel

Hon:
it sounds like you've got some ambitious hiking in
mind.
Most of the Colorado 14ers are 'easy' walk-ups. That
is, there is no technical mountain climbing requiring
ropes and all that. But - particularly for someone
coming from sea level - the thin air approaching the
summits just doesn't have much O2 in it- you'll be
huffing and puffing and moving slow.

There are many guidbooks to the Colorado 14ers, and
many hike reports online. Check those out in
earnest, and decide how many you want to 'bag', there
is no shame if you down scale your plans after a
couple days of walking strenuous summit trails. Best
advice: show up in shape!

- KMC

--- Hon Chu <kq6ee55@...> wrote:

Hi: Will anybody drive up the Mt. Bross??? Can
anybody give me a ride
going up there???Is it a day hike or we have spend
over night up
there?? You might think it is too early to plan. I
have to plan in
advance because I only have one week to stay. I
like to hike as many
peak as I can. Can anybody go hiking with me to Mt
Elbert or Mt
Massive between August 13 to August 17. For sure I
will drive up to
Pike Peak AND Mt Evans. When I go to Mt Bross, I
will hike to Mt
Demcrat and Mt LIncoln, HA,HA. I will bring my
digital camera with
me. I will show my family how fund it is in
Colorado. I am looking
forward on that week. 73

Hon Chu

HON Chu

--- In ham14er@..., "K. Mark Caviezel" <kmcaviezel@y...>
wrote:
Yes, you are right, I am ambitious. I hiked up to MT. WHITNEY serval
years ago with the scout. I will do some training hike starting this
weekend. I will hike to Mt. Wilson from Pasadena, CA. The total
milage is about 19 miles. Thank you for your advice. I cannot tell
I am an experience hiker. But I did hike to many peaks. Looking
forward to hike to the second highest peak ( Mt.Elbert ) behind Mt.
Whitney.

--- Hon Chu <kq6ee55@y...> wrote:
Hi: Will anybody drive up the Mt. Bross??? Can
anybody give me a ride
going up there???Is it a day hike or we have spend
over night up
there?? You might think it is too early to plan. I
have to plan in
advance because I only have one week to stay. I
like to hike as many
peak as I can. Can anybody go hiking with me to Mt
Elbert or Mt
Massive between August 13 to August 17. For sure I
will drive up to
Pike Peak AND Mt Evans. When I go to Mt Bross, I
will hike to Mt
Demcrat and Mt LIncoln, HA,HA. I will bring my
digital camera with
me. I will show my family how fund it is in
Colorado. I am looking
forward on that week. 73

Hon Chu

Dan Hupp <dhupp4@...>

Hi Hon,

I may go up Bross this year but won't decide for another month or so, you
are welcome to ride along to the top if I go but I normally camp about
halfway up for a couple of days ahead of the event so we would have to meet
somewhere. Of course if you are driving an Explorer you can take it right
to the top most years (some years one can not drive to the summit) and I'd
be willing to guide you if you wanted to do that and i was up there. The
road up Bross can be a bit scary but if you drive or ride up Bross, Lincoln
is an easy hike from a point on the trail in the saddle between Bross &
Cameron, Democrat is much harder, couple of miles hiking with several
thousand feet of elevation change but folks in great shape do all three from
Kite lake trailhead (~11K ft, 12mi or so round trip) all the time, they
grumble at us sitting atop Bross every year I've been up it in a vehicle.

In the time you have and with so much ground to cover I hope you plan on
camping out of your vehicle, if you are I will suggest an itinerary, this
assumes you are in much better shape than I and have a fair amount of
experience trail hiking above 12,000 ft: Aug 13; Hike Mt. Massive from the
Mt. Elbert trailhead/campground near Twin Lakes, Aug 14; Hike Mt. Elbert and
then drive to camping spot above Alma on Mt. Bross, Aug 15; Drive/hike Mt.
Bross and Mt. Lincoln, maybe Democrat if you haven't already keeled over :-)
Aug 16; Drive up Pike's Peak, Aug 17; Drive up Mt. Evans. You can do both
Pike's & Evans in one day if necessary and it would probably be best to
reverse the order since you are coming from sea level. There are a bunch of
other options such as Grays & Torreys Peaks, Mt. Beirstadt with Evans and a
few other combinations in the collegiates (the mountain range South of Mt.
Elbert) but I've used ones I'm somewhat familiar with although I have not
been up all of them and would not attempt such a trip myself in such a short
time frame (I'm a middle aged wimp who lets my Jeep do the hiking nowadays).

We have a couple of months and I expect you will get other suggestions, also
with the gang here we should be able to lay out a trip for you better than
AAA can if you want. Better get some maps and a guidebook or two if you
don't already have them or you won't be able to figure out what we are
talking about.

Do keep in mind that weather could throw everything off no matter how well
things are planned, it can turn on you in an instant in these mountains and
you generally want to be headed down by noon in August. Please be realistic
about your own capabilities as well, I could have done such a trip 15-20
years ago but at that time I had 10+ years of high altitude hiking and
camping experience (not to mention I was in my 20s and still had knees that
worked pretty good), I also would have had a buddy with even more experience
along.

73 DE N0TZL Dan