From: John C Keith [mailto:kd0gd@...]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 11:32 AM
To: ham14er@...
Subject: Re: [ham14er] signal mirrors

Flashing mirrors from 14ers!
I think this has been tried before but I'll try and bring a
mirror along
and see if anyone wants to try and see it from another 14er.
73 Phil N0KE
I have done this on previous events. It is cool and the mirrors
are inexpensive.

John Keith
kd0gd@...

Paul Rixon <rixon31337@...>

I'm in the Civil Air Patrol (Missouri Wing) and one of our best SAR guys gives out that very tip - Use the free AOL CD!

Don't all you climbers carry a signal mirror? They are invaluable. One time I played the missing party during an excercise, and when the aircraft were having trouble finding our flourescent panels, I pulled out the mirror. I later found out that I had temporarily blinded the spotter. Such a cheap tool is amazing, and may save your life.

The mirrors you get from an outdoors outlet has two pieces of glass sandwiched together, and a little reflective mesh in between. You hold the mirror up to your eye, and you get a white spot to act as a 'target'. A CD is effective, but is used differently. Hold the CD with one hand, hold your other hand all the way out, and make a U-shape with your thumb and index finger, palm facing toward you. Tilt the CD around as needed to get the thumb and finger lit up. Then, you can move to any position you need, following the beam of light. Now, if you look through the hole in the middle, you can use the hole and your far hand to act as gun sights, and get your target dead on!

Since we're talking about lightwave comms, has anyone used photophones yet, solar or otherwise?

-P

From: "Phil Krichbaum" <pfkski@...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:42:56 -0600

I've heard as a survival tip to carry a CD in your pack to use for flashing
airplanes etc. It might be a good use for all those AOL CDs arriving in the
mail etc.
73 Phil N0KE