Topics

SOTA: Devils Head FR-051

Bob K0NR

Joyce K0JJW and I will be hiking Devils Head on Sunday for a VHF/UHF SOTA activation.
Summit info here: http://www.sota.org.uk/Summit/W0C/FR-051

We should have a good radio horizon to Denver, Monument, Colorado Springs

We expect to be on top around 11:30 am plus or minus

Look for us on 146.52 MHz, 446.00 MHz and 1294.5 MHz FM simplex.

Bob

Setting up now

BobW
Sent from mobile device

On Jun 24, 2017, at 21:17, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

Joyce K0JJW and I will be hiking Devils Head on Sunday for a VHF/UHF
SOTA activation.
Summit info here: http://www.sota.org.uk/Summit/W0C/FR-051

We should have a good radio horizon to Denver, Monument, Colorado Springs

We expect to be on top around 11:30 am plus or minus

Look for us on 146.52 MHz, 446.00 MHz and 1294.5 MHz FM simplex.

Bob

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Bob Witte (K0NR)" <@K0NR>
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Bob K0NR

We had some good success on 1.2 GHz yesterday from Devils Head (W0C/FR-051)
I made two contacts, Joyce K0JJW made one, using an Alinco HT running 1W on 23 cm driving a Comet CYA-1216E yagi antenna, 16.6 dBi gain.

I worked Wayne N0POH in Aurora without much problem for a distance of about 50 km or 30 miles. Wayne has a capable weak-signal VHF/UHF station, so he pointed his antenna at me on 446.0 MHz which also aligned his 1.2 GHz antenna. He has a horizontally polarized beam antenna on 1.2 GHz. The Comet antenna is very directional of course, so pointing it is much more critical than say a 3-element yagi on 2 meters. We were coordinating on 2m and 70cm. Joyce K0JJW also worked Wayne.

Then I turned south and tried to work Armstead AE5OQ in Colorado Springs. Armstead is running a TS-2000 to a triband vertical antenna. I could hear him at my noise floor, with usually good copy but his signal was up and down. I had my yagi vertically polarized for him. He could not hear me so we did not complete the QSO. Note that Armstead was running 10W versus my 1W out of the HT.

Paul W0RW west side of Colorado Springs came up on frequency and had a stronger signal than Armstead. We worked without much trouble, again at a distance of about 50 km (30 miles). Paul is running on older ICOM 1.2 GHz radio, 10W into a vertical antenna (Comet GP-21), that is spec'd with a gain of 14.9 dBi (about 8 feet tall, which is a big vertical for 23 cm). The interesting thing is that Paul does not have line of site to Devils Head, so we had some kind of bounce to make the QSO. I was pointing roughly in the direction of Pikes Peak so maybe that gave us a reflection. Hard to say.

It was fun messing around with this. Certainly a challenge at 1.2 GHz.
We also worked a bunch of other stations on 2m and 70cm, including Curtis KC5CW in Castle Rock.

73, Bob K0NR

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 24-Jun-17 9:17 PM, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] wrote:
Joyce K0JJW and I will be hiking Devils Head on Sunday for a VHF/UHF
SOTA activation.
Summit info here: http://www.sota.org.uk/Summit/W0C/FR-051

We should have a good radio horizon to Denver, Monument, Colorado Springs

We expect to be on top around 11:30 am plus or minus

Look for us on 146.52 MHz, 446.00 MHz and 1294.5 MHz FM simplex.

Bob

Brad - WA6MM

It sounds like you and Joyce had a lot of fun Bob!  I listened for you but couldn't hear you at my home QTH. Too many hills in the way I guess!