Topics

South Baldy Mountain

Glen Noble

Hi All

My log for Sunday from South Baldy Mountain WE-058

147

16:22 KE0HNW RG-001 Uncompaghre

16:23 W0CP SP-058 Monarch Crest

16:26 KT0AM SR-001 Huron

16:44 K0NR FR-003 Evans

16:50 KC5JKU SC-001 Humboldt

446

16:30 KE0HNW RG-001 Uncompaghre

16:32 KM5TYK near Gunnison

16:38 W0CP SP-058 Monarch Crest

16:58 K0NR FR-003 Evans

Had a great time on a 12.3K peak, much easier than the 14er's. My hat is off to Terry on his efforts on both Wetterhorn and Uncompaghre, truly impressive hiking.

I had generally good weather and at 12K my retreat to tree line could be quick, though I did not need it. I enjoyed the inclusion of the SOTA summits in the event, they make the logistics and hiking much easier. I can see both the benefits and draw backs to the two day format. Much more flexibility regarding personal schedules and weather, but perhaps less opportunity for S2S contacts each day. Perhaps next year I need to get out both days.

Thanks to K0NR I found the squelch on my hand held. As he pointed out for weak signal FM it may be best to run it open. His patience got me a contact on 446.

Great event. Now to figure out how to put the contacts in SOTA

Bob K0NR

On 08-Aug-17 5:10 PM, wn0twn@... [ham14er] wrote:

I had generally good weather and at 12K my retreat to tree line could be quick, though I did not need it. I enjoyed the inclusion of the SOTA summits in the event, they make the logistics and hiking much easier. I can see both the benefits and draw backs to the two day format. Much more flexibility regarding personal schedules and weather, but perhaps less opportunity for S2S contacts each day. Perhaps next year I need to get out both days.
We've been doing some SOTA summits in the 12k range the past few
weeks. I have to say that I've really started to appreciate those
summits. Typically, they are easier hikes compared to 14ers, but you
still end up above treeline with great views and radio horizons. If
the weather is marginal you can retreat more quickly. Oh, and they
aren't swarmed with people on the weekends.

Thanks to K0NR I found the squelch on my hand held. As he pointed out for weak signal FM it may be best to run it open. His patience got me a contact on 446.
Hey, I'm glad we made the contact. Yes, when the signals are weak it
helps to just open up the squelch. Some radios make this easy to do
but some bury the squelch setting in a menu.

73, Bob K0NR